White eyed drone

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found this pupa today in one of my hives that a worker had removed from it’s cell. It’s a drone pupa - can tell as the compound eyes spread over the entire head rather than at the sides - with one white eye. I’d heard about them but not seen before. It's a recessive trait and normally they have 2 white eyes, but this one had just one..apparently they can sometimes have just one white eye. Can even have a worker eye and a drone eye. I thought you might be interested if you haven’t seen one before.

Attachments

• D4D52F63-3B35-4E23-92E3-F8AA05E9F9BB.jpeg
    D4D52F63-3B35-4E23-92E3-F8AA05E9F9BB.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 86
Fascinating aren't they ? I've only ever seen one at a friends apiary some years ago ...we'd heard about them but never seen one .... they are reasonably common I believe but the bees, I suspect, remove them and it's just a matter of luck if you get to see one, Great photo for those who've never seen them.

Found this pupa today in one of my hives that a worker had removed from it’s cell. It’s a drone pupa - can tell as the compound eyes spread over the entire head rather than at the sides - with one white eye. I’d heard about them but not seen before. It's a recessive trait and normally they have 2 white eyes, but this one had just one..apparently they can sometimes have just one white eye. Can even have a worker eye and a drone eye. I thought you might be interested if you haven’t seen one before.
What makes the eye white? It looks like it's calcified. If the pupae are allowed to develop to adults can the bee see out of the white eye?

Not heard or seen this before, thanks for sharing.

drone with one black and one red eye.

Attachments

• odd red eye.jpg
    odd red eye.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 18
  • white eyed drone with deformed left wing.JPG
    white eyed drone with deformed left wing.JPG
    251.2 KB · Views: 18
What makes the eye white? It looks like it's calcified. If the pupae are allowed to develop to adults can the bee see out of the white eye?
No they are blind. It’s because all their genes come from the queen without inheriting genes from a ‘father’ and so a recessive gene is expressed

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back