white deposit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just inside the hive entrance, at one edge is a white smearing, about 2"sq, as though dried pigeon dropping- and no I don't have one wintering in there. Bees are seemingly ok, flying today- no excessive loss, but this white area is new. Mouse guard on, no sign of one inhabiting- but I havent explored - just peeped, fondanted and closed. Any ideas- am I missing a disease symptom/sign.

Hi Heather.

Any chance of a close up photo of what you describe ?

first thoughts - could it be mould growth. 2nd idea - could it be dried sugar syrup or fondant that has fallen through the nest ?

I presume you have ruled out dried wax cappings ?

On one of my hives I have noticed a bit of white 'dust' on the inspection tray of the floor and alongside was the remnants of oxalic acid that dropped through - this had turned white in the cold.

regards

S

It might be a bird dropping ? as during the summer what ever eat elderberrys done a dambuster job as it came hurtaling through the french doors all over the carpet and that was 4 feet inside my house!!!.

Grub

hhmmm but none on the outside just in the entrance - but another excuse to shoot those bloody pigeons- have about 30 that live in overhead trees to me- my garden becomes a polluted white mess!!!

Do you have pine or cedar hive

eerrr.. havent a clue- just hives:blush5:- prob cedar as good solid ones... and not yet mastered adding photos to forum - working on it - Lord that sounds so girly:svengo: But all 9 colonies alive and well so do some things right..

A picture tells all

Hopefully the images are sort of self explanatory. :)

They could be a bit smaller I suppose.

Back