Whistling round the back

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
None of my own
OK, this is probably another case of a newbeek being over-protective, but thought I'd ask anyway....

On the weekend I put an empty super inbetween the stand and floor on my National as suggested here previously, to minimise the winter wind whistling up through the OMF. It occurred to me that at the same time I was raising the gap at the back of the hive, where the varroa board gets slid in and out, and presumably this will also be a bad source of letting in the wind (in my case the back is facing northwards on a fairly exposed position).

Does anyone bother with blocking this entrance, or am I treating my girls like little girls?

OK, this is probably another case of a newbeek being over-protective, but thought I'd ask anyway....

On the weekend I put an empty super inbetween the stand and floor on my National as suggested here previously, to minimise the winter wind whistling up through the OMF. It occurred to me that at the same time I was raising the gap at the back of the hive, where the varroa board gets slid in and out, and presumably this will also be a bad source of letting in the wind (in my case the back is facing northwards on a fairly exposed position).

Does anyone bother with blocking this entrance, or am I treating my girls like little girls?

Usual practice is to place super between b/b and omf ?
This way GAP stays where it is :chillpill:

John Wilkinson

Timing my boy! timing .
Super is to be removed at first Spring inspection :driving:

John Wilkinson

On the weekend I put an empty super inbetween the stand and floor on my National as suggested here previously,

I've vever liked the super inbetween the floor and the BB. I reckon you get less guard bees on the enterance, and thus it lets more wasps / wax moth in.

Adam

You can take your choice of where to put it. Make up your mind and do it. Better either way than doing nothing, even if it turns out to be unnecessary. Personal choice.

Better than nothing at all, particularly if it is just a single standard brood box being over-wintered, is my view.

BTDT. Before I changed (or maybe as I was trying out different over-wintering methods) to my present system. I found the brood under the floor better because you need to be sharp, in the spring, to avoid wild comb with the above-floor alternative.

The weather can play havoc with the first inspection - it may be OK for retired beeks but possibly more difficult for those still working - and can only get to do things at the weekends early on in the season - due to the cool and the evenings still closing in early. BST only starts at the end of March and some recent spring colony expansions have started much earlier than say 20-30 years ago due to climate changes.

My vote, previously, was for under the OMF. I am still sticking with that advice - particularly if on a single standard brood only.

Maybe another good reason for 14 x 12s, as I don't usually bother with an extra box underneath these days.

Regards, RAB

Thanks for all of your replies. As I've already moved the super below the floor then I'll leave it there this year I think, and employ some duct tape over the rear entrance. Intending to be on 14x12s next year so maybe won't be an issue then

Latest posts

Back