Which wood glue?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Duff

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
none
Just a quick one-
I was wondering which is the most popular or best glue for hive construction especially stands, straight from the can or hot glue gun. Are there any which are harmful to bees?

:cheers2:

Waterproof exterior stuff.... did read on here some time ago about the stuff that comes as a powder... can never find it in the stores!
????Casenite????

The classic is Cascamite glue which is a powder.

Personally I find that any decent quality exterior woodworking glue is fit for purpose. I am currently using Evo-Sitik

PH

I have recently used the 'gorilla glue'. Expensive, comparative to PVA, but good. Don't need to use as much as one might initially think, as it expands on curing.

Cascamite is the usual powder, but there are better ones available now, as speciailist glues, I am sure.

I think the hot glue gun may go cold before complete assembly, but had not considered that option for any proper woodwork.

A lot may depend on how close your joint clearances are - PVA is definitely a thin film glue, not a filler type.

Don't suppose many are actually 'good' for bees, but you are not glueing them so it should not be an issue. Cascamite is a formaldehyde resin type, but glue would be low on my priority list (no contact, surface coatedpossibly anyway).

I would only glue single stands - doubles would generally be easily disassembled.

I rarely nail anything to do with the hive bodies/stands; screw and glue or through-bolted. Nails for holding panels on, maybe; and for frames, but not for glued joints.

RAB

Titebond III or Evo Stick PVA - any decent external glue will be fine.

I don't find hot glue has any sort of strength at all - good for tacking and indoor projects, but not proper work.

I have recently used the 'gorilla glue'. Expensive, comparative to PVA, but good. Don't need to use as much as one might initially think, as it expands on curing.
I rarely nail anything to do with the hive bodies/stands; screw and glue or through-bolted. Nails for holding panels on, maybe; and for frames, but not for glued joints.
RAB

:iagree: as above. I use something similar to Gorilla glue called Gripfill from Travis Perkins. Hell to get off fingers etc but fills and glues like nothing else. I also screw where appropriate eg stands but the standard pins and galv nails for BBs or supers etc..

I don't find hot glue has any sort of strength at all - good for tacking and indoor projects, but not proper work.

I agree,the only thing i have found that really good for is fixing the plastic mesh, and gluing correx box's.

Just confirmation of points above I think. Evostick external (blue pot) but always screwed as well or nailed if can't screw and mesh etc with a staple gun.

I'm with RAB on this one ... Gorilla glue is the business. In addition to wood joints it's just fine for glueing metal runners into poly nucs, or castellations into poly supers. Just use a smear. It expand a lot, but excess can be cut back using a sharp knife.

Last edited:
try ever build d4 totally waterproof pva style resin glue cheaper and cleaner than gorilla glue.

I agree,the only thing i have found that really good for is fixing the plastic mesh, and gluing correx box's.
it's great for gluing down gripper rod onto concrete or screed for carpetting. pieces should be cut to about 8-9 inches long, any longer and the glue starts to cool before you can position them.

Just a quick one-
I was wondering which is the most popular or best glue for hive construction especially stands, straight from the can or hot glue gun. Are there any which are harmful to bees?

:cheers2:

If only propolis came in cans
:)

Polyurethane glue - like Gorilla.

I use 5 minute stuff for making hives...fills cracks and manufacturing imperfections wonderfully. :)

Also useful for repairs to broken paving slabs, etc.

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Everbuild-5MINPU7-Lumberjack-Polyure-Adhesive/dp/B00132EEA6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319625400&sr=8-1[/ame]

is what I use... and it's on OFFER!

(I only buy when on offer).

I always use Workwear rubber gloves when using it ...as previously stated, devil to get off hands...

Cascamite , I use it for laminated bows , flexible and strong as hell .

G

Cascamite and Resintite are powerful 'exotic' glues we use for laminations in woods for archery, for beekeeping they are way OTT. Weatherproof PVA...

Cascamite...exotic

Used to be the standard wood jointing choice before PVA, I would think.

Nothing really exotic about it. 5 and 10kg drums of the stuff bought and used on a daily basis for all sorts of joinery products 20 years or more ago. Don't know how long it has been around, but a long time...

RAB

It was the standard glue when I made my very first brood box, 1887, give or take a 100 years....;)

PH

Cascamite...exotic

Used to be the standard wood jointing choice before PVA, I would think.

Nothing really exotic about it. 5 and 10kg drums of the stuff bought and used on a daily basis for all sorts of joinery products 20 years or more ago. Don't know how long it has been around, but a long time...

RAB
:iagree:
Cascamite was the beekeepers recommended glue 30 years ago by all the experienced beeks. Still useful today

Latest posts

Back