Which Tablet computer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beebreeder

Field Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lots
As there are many on this forum with vast pc knowledge I am after advice, my kids want a tablet PC each for christmas but the choice is endless, what is the best? HELP:thanks:

Ipad, it is stress free, expense is the problem though. I wouldn't be without mine, all the rest are poor imitations.

My wife has just bought an MC769B/A iPad 2 - 16 GB, Wi-Fi... and a couple of my sons have them as well...they seem to like the things,too fiddly for me though, things whirling around here there and everywhere.

Last edited:
Nexus 7

If you want to go Android and not $pad then there really is only one choice; believe me, I researched this thoroughly.... Google Nexus 7. price, speed, screen, latest operating system etc etc. Read the reviews on YouTube or elsewhere. You won't be disappointed! And they are bringing out a Nexus 10 very soon too, but the 7" is fine for most things.

Don't rule out the kids coolness factor. Ipad & apple phones

I've got an old Ipad 1 32 gig storage and still not filled it up or run out of space. Ipad 2 is good value at about £320 (cheaper if you shop around) but if your honey sales are going well and you're wallet is over flowing go for the Ipad 3 and call it their birthday prezzies as well for the next X years.

As for connection you will get wi-fi as standard (need wireless connection at home) but you may want to get 3G/cellular which allows you to use the ipads anywhere to get online.

We have 4 ipads and 2 ipad minis in this house
They are all in constant use
For speed and ease of use along with cost
I would reccommend ipad mini (wi fi only) for kids use
I love its lightness, build quality and its so fast compared with ipad 2 and even ipad 3
The camera is also fab
Its great for using lying down...like now on the sofa..cos its so light
Also n bed for reading the papers before gettting up

iI have IPad 2 .
Like it a lot.
Not used any of the others so can't compare.

What's your budget and how many do you need? Are you also expected to pay for the content or are they old enough to get their own?

If you're already firmly into the Apple world with itunes accounts, iphones etc then the existing 10 inch ipad line is the obvious choice. More cash gets you the later model, faster/better screen etc. The metaphorical handcuffs are very shiny and comfortable to distract you from the cost.

Otherwise, and especially if portability is more important, there are alternatives, especially in the pocketable and increasingly popular 7 inch screen format. The quoted screen size is diagonal in case you're wondering. Bigger screens need more computing power to drive them, and bigger batteries to keep them warm so smaller is generally cheaper too. The app store is where you download stuff from and the alternatives to Apple are the Google play store and Amazon. Highest rated is the Nexus 7, firmly in the Google camp and bristling with nerd chic. New kid on the block, especially if you're already into reading books on the beasties is the Amazon Kindle Fire HD.

Most kids pick up a pretty good idea of what they want from their mates; they don't want 'a tablet' they want a specific one. If you opt for whatever is unfashionable in their circle you could waste a lot of cash.

Last edited:
The screen size on ipad mini is 30% bigger than the android 7inchers due to a narrower margin which succeeds as Apple use clever software to recognize unintentional touches.
The battery is a huge leap forward from my ipad2
I have had this ipad mini for 3 days and its still on 41% battery, with about 4hrs use each day ( rest using ipad2)
It arrived 97% charged
It is a fantastic piece of kit
I am just noticing too that i am having much less typos as it sits easier in my hands for thumb typing

I agree with alan re kids fashion.... Tread carefully
:)

Another vote for the i pad here my daughter has one problem is getting it off her to have a go .

You could do a lot of detailed comparisons (there are loads of reviews online).

You could check all the specs for all the many options.

And you could probably identify several "better" tablets than an iPad certainly for a fair bit less £.

BUT I suspect your kids only want iPad Apps and only want an iPad.
They really don't want a tablet - they want the "cool" factor.

Pretty much the same with iPod, iPhone etc - the "cool" factor will trump any rational argument.

Pretty much the same with iPod, iPhone etc - the "cool" factor will trump any rational argument.

I agree, and a fortnight after you have bought them they will go out of fashion, and it will be another model that will be the in thing, that simply has to be had.

Many thanks for all the advice, my daughter (19 at Uni) wants an i pad but the i pad 2, as you all say she has i tunes etc but a b/berry phone, my son 17 just wants one he is looking at Samsung galaxy something and now my wife is looking at kindle fire, the honey is selling but not that fast!!!!!!!!!!!!

iPad which I am on right now. Provided you don't mind not being able to print easily nor being reliant on wifi (not such a problem these days). They do cost twice what you can get as a PC tablet, but they are very good.

However, also consider software. iPad doesn't run Office and some people don't like Pages, Numbers, etc. they are very different and a bit frustrating, whereas if you have an android tablet, you can get open office or something like Ashampoo Office (really good, small, powerful and cheap) which I have used on PCs for years.

been through this recently myself on both 7 and 10 inchers. If Android I liked the Nexus 7 and the Transformer Prime infinity, on Apple you have the mini and the new 4th generation. The clincher for me was looking at the same page on the Ipad mini and the Nexus 7. No contest (and I like the Nexus), mini for one of my offspring this christmas. For me, my new Ipad comes this week :)

I have an iPad mini, maybe aps are more expensive but apple vet all down loads.
VM
Sent from my iPhone

Mmmmmm I was looking at the iPad mini...thanks folks.
My daughter is in The States cycling from Florida to San Francisco. I will get her to get one there.....cheaper than here:)

Southern Tier?
One autumn, I will do this.

P.S. Is it any drier in Wales than here?

Latest posts

Back