Which suits do i go for

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ade'sBee's

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all , not been on for a while because i've had trouble finding people close to me willing to show me the rope's in starting out in beekeeping but the good news is i've now found a lady close to me who's kept them for over twenty year's and is going to teach me all.:hurray:So people i need to know which suit to go for as there's alot out there and any info on where to buy would bee great:cheers2:

Thornes did have some extra large white ones going cheap last week.

I use the Astronaut suit from Bee Basic and love it.

The man selling the Finnish poly nucs is selling astronaut suits cheap. Are they any good?

My friend has washed his bee basic one twice and it has shrunk both times. Now he looks a bit like a baby in a babygrow.

I have a Sheriff, which is good.

Got mine from Maisemore in April, fencer type veil which already has a tear in the mesh so think that one's about to be relegated to my spare/visitor suit.

Still pondering wether going to a full suit with a hive and a half is overkill.

I would say it is overkill unless your bees are particularily feisty.
Most bee activity can be carried out with just a veil and it gives you much more freedom of movement.
There are times when you need more protection though, such as sorting out a large queenless colony or any bees working oil seed rape.

I bought a pair of white overalls and a seperate veil, which was worse than hopeless as any self respecting bee with a mission can crawl down at the neck and get in...................:toetap05:

Next I bought a top only with integrated veil from BB wear and use the overalls as trousers. The top and veil is great.

Last week I was given a Sherrif all in one and tried it out last weekend - also great.

My first two years of beekeeping involved me getting stung every time I went into them. I tried the BB wear top with pale trousers and got stung on the legs..........

This year they are completely different, but at the moment I still wouldn't go into them without full covering and wouldn't recommend it to a beginner either.

Frisbee

i would alway suggest to a beginer to buy the better suit which is a sherif but any one will do they dont last more than a few seasons before you start to wear holes in them, or is it just me and my fat a**e.
as for type i have prefered the jacket only and in that way i can get dressed easier than with a boiler suit which i struggle with as for the trousers you can hace either proper ones or jeans, getting stung on the ankle is a very commonn occurance as for elbows and back of head and behind the knees, if you truely want to be sting proof, ie when dealing with hornets or killer wasps or a buckfast bee on a bad day, what you have to buy is a scubs divers wooly bear which is a very thick fleese overal suit which you then put your boiler suit over the top and dont forget to have a brass wire visor mesh sewn in and where a couple of woolie hats

I would strongly recommend to any beginner to get a full "astronaut" suit as this greatly adds to the confidence of someone without experience, when carrying out manipulations. It is impossible to concentrate and make good decisions while one is being stung - even if it is only those minor "nips" one gets through clothing. I wear different kit ranging from hat/veil only with fingerless household gloves to full suit and leather gloves depending on how drastic a disturbance I expect to cause to some of my more difficult colonies. The impact of stings is, in my opinion, largely psychological - the pain subsides after a minute or so and the fear of being stung wains with experience.

i have the Beebasic micro fibre suit. I find it easy and light to wear,and as yet, not been stung wearing it,even when amongst 32 hives in cornwall,on the rape, cloudy and windy day.

I have got a full overall type with fencing veil. The bees which I have currently got seem to be pretty well tempered and I think this overall type is a bit of an overkill. Will be looking to get just a jacket type which is easier and quicker to put on and off.

I bought a new suit from the USA. Golden Bee products. I will give you the details if you drop me a PM.
This suit is 100% bee sting proof. It has done my confidence the world of good. They sell them to Texas fire dept for dealing with Africanised bees. They say you can go commando in it and be safe. I believe them. It is cool and I wear shorts under it. You can't wear wellies it has to be working boots. An added bonus is that the bees don't like collecting on in general.It is quite expensive but for me it has been worth every penny. I have gradually built up my immunity to stings but had some horrid experiences last year and without this suit I would have had to give up. I now have 12 hives and the local association keep sending me off to catch swarms!!!

They look like nice suites Brian.
I know that Michael Bush in the states has one,if its good enough for him then it must be good.

I understand there are 2 companies selling the same type of suite in the usa ?

I bought a brand new sherrif last weekend... £42 :hat:

There nowt wrong with that, I only bought the Sherriff suit cos it comes with a Sherriff Badge :svengo:

But on another note, I recently contacted sheriff on the possibility of buying the two-piece top jacket and already owning the full suit I thought I could save and not buy the hood i.e they are interchangeable! But NO!

Now you could look at this two ways

1 Sherriff did it this way to stop tight Yorkshire people like me from doing what I wanted to do

2 Sherriff could save productions costs by having one hood that fits all of their suits.

There nowt wrong with that, I only bought the Sherriff suit cos it comes with a Sherriff Badge :svengo:

But on another note, I recently contacted sheriff on the possibility of buying the two-piece top jacket and already owning the full suit I thought I could save and not buy the hood i.e they are interchangeable! But NO!

Now you could look at this two ways

1 Sherriff did it this way to stop tight Yorkshire people like me from doing what I wanted to do

2 Sherriff could save productions costs by having one hood that fits all of their suits.

Too simple and they wouldnt make money out of us tight yorkshire folks either :svengo:

Back