Which smoker do you use?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earthsoul

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I bought a cheap smoker off of eBay last year, it got me through the year but it is a nightmare to keep going, even after following all the correct advice.

So I am looking at both the dadant and the ranchboy.
There are loads of reviews but the Americans seem resistant to the ranchboy which is german.
So what do you use? and which smoker do you find best?

i dont bother with my smoker much tends to annoy the girls i now use a small sprayer with sugar water weak sollution doesnt annoy them half as much,i also opted for the cheap 3bay version cheap is not allways best but in the begining everything is something new to learn sometimes the hard way

it is a nightmare to keep going

Which 'correct advice'? It may be operator error, too small, or poor choice of fuel.

Never had one that I could not keep alight. First was too small (needed feeding with fuel at frequent intervals or it expired). Next (a bigger one) has done me OK for several years. A spare got incinerated.

Personal preference comes only with trying out several different types.
Most on here will only advise on one or two, so the 'advice' may well be flawed.

Just get a big stainless steel one of good quality and work out any operator related problems. Sorted for years, barring any disasters (like flattened by a Landy, etc.).

Cheapy from foreign climes, bought via eBay.

It has some irritating edges but works well. I can't see it lasting more than a few years without need of some repair - probably rivets.

I think the keys to getting a smoker going, and lasting, are the right fuel and practice. If you're a newbie, learn to light the smoker and keep it going without the distraction of the bees. Give it a go while you're sitting outside doing not much else, then when you're busy and distracted doing something like a bit of gardening. Set yourself a challenge (keep it going for 30 minutes/an hour/whatever without refuelling). Only add the distraction of a hive inspection when you're happy you can keep it going - especially if you have bees that might be a bit feisty.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I have done all the things you have advised already, including using different fuels, and reading around extensively!
What I need to find out is just what brand most people use in smokers, just need to know if the ranchboy does stay alight? which they state needs one puff to keep it going, and has a different internal design to usual! at the moment my smoker needs more attention to keep it going than the bees! spending time pushing the bellows to get it going whatever fuel I use is not what I need, I want something that is workable and stays alight for the few minutes I am not needing it!

My girlfriend bought me a Rauchboy for my bday last year. I had decided to try one and I have no complaints. The only time it has gone out on me is either when it runs out of fuel (because I totally forgot about it) or when I rush to light it and don't get it going properly to start with.

I cannot say that it is a lot better than others as I have not tried many others but for now I am happy. It isn't the cheapest but it works well for me.

Unbranded. Canister is 7" x 4". The seller appears to sell off unwanted odds and ends. He's not selling enough to make me think he's running a business. The smoker cost £8.99. Shipping from Bulgaria was £7.99. I think it was an auction but can't be certain.

Even if it only lasts a few years I think I got a bargain.

One problem I had with it is that it took a knock in the car. The bellows got knocked out of line with the tube going into the bottom of the canister. It was only a very slight misalignment but it made a noticeable difference. After twisting the bellows back into position it is now fine. The only time I have trouble keeping it lit is when I'm in a rush to light it. The trick, I find, is to get it going like a blacksmith's hearth before closing it. I start it with newspaper then add small pieces of bark - collected well in advance then left to dry thoroughly.

i dont bother with my smoker much tends to annoy the girls i now use a small sprayer with sugar water weak sollution doesnt annoy them half as much,i also opted for the cheap 3bay version cheap is not allways best but in the begining everything is something new to learn sometimes the hard way

How do you herd bees without smoke, its been used by mankind for millennia to help control bees why re-invent the wheel ?
I cant imagine putting together boxes of a populous hive without unwarranted crushing of bees if no smoke is used.
As for smokers, I tend to agree that any reasonable sized one will do the job if used correctly. The internal can design is a little over fussy and unnecessary( and more expensive), look at what commercial beekeepers use, normally bog standard stainless steel with a bottom grate and a conical spout.

How do you herd bees without smoke, its been used by mankind for millennia to help control bees why re-invent the wheel ?
I cant imagine putting together boxes of a populous hive without unwarranted crushing of bees if no smoke is used.
As for smokers, I tend to agree that any reasonable sized one will do the job if used correctly. The internal can design is a little over fussy and unnecessary( and more expensive), look at what commercial beekeepers use, normally bog standard stainless steel with a bottom grate and a conical spout.

I can do several of my hives without smoke. It all depends on the time of day and weather etc.
That is why my smoker sometimes runs out of fuel as I haven't reached for it whilst doing several hives. I tend to try and use it only when necessary anyway.

Look. At times I have had difficulty with lighting - usually after realising I need to pick up some fuel at the apiary site because the fuel has been left somewhere else. At those times it is more likely to go out, too. Surprise, surprise? Not really.

The fuel I use at present will smoulder on the floor until it is reduced to ash, let alone when left in the smoker. I usually now empty the remaing fuel rather than trying to extinguish it in the smoker.

Most advertising is for expensive gimmicks. The beekeepers of a hundred years ago coped perfectly adequately with their old designs - and they will still work admirably today.

'Brand' that most use is not necessarily a good pointer; they may all use that 'brand', but it may well be no better than a lot of others, and may well be inferior quality. You will find that out, if you eventually get enough experience.

My smoler is not a rauch boy and it too needs one puff (if that) to keep it going. Then it will need another puff, perhaps later. To be honest, it can need no puffs at all to actually get it going as well as keeping it alight! I am quite happy with the tools I have.

Last edited:
I use a 'small' copper smoker, from Th0rnes.
the secret in keeping it alight is to ensure there's enough heat in the smoker.
(fires need 3 things, Fuel, Air, and Heat)
I light a small wood fire in the smoker first, get loads of heat in the smoker, before adding hessian (hemp) sacking. stays alight without attention for ages.

I use a 'small' copper smoker, from Th0rnes.
the secret in keeping it alight is to ensure there's enough heat in the smoker.
(fires need 3 things, Fuel, Air, and Heat)
I light a small wood fire in the smoker first, get loads of heat in the smoker, before adding hessian (hemp) sacking. stays alight without attention for ages.

Will it stay alight long enough to sort both colonies.

The Bee inspector used a Dadant that just kept on and on, only needed relight ONCE in FIVE hours, and that included 2 X 20 minute drives - now that's impressive.

My small smoker stays alight for 2-3 hrs, I have (last yr) inspected 4 colonies at home, then went to inspect 2 at my mates apiary 4 miles from me without re-fuelling. I always carry spare fuel in my 'bee keeping tool box', so can refuel if needed.

Bought my large stainless steel smoker on e**y 3 years ago (cheepy) nothing wrong with it still going strong, I left it @ my apiary last week and went back 2 hours later and it was still smoking

My small smoker stays alight for 2-3 hrs, I have (last yr) inspected 4 colonies at home, then went to inspect 2 at my mates apiary 4 miles from me without re-fuelling. I always carry spare fuel in my 'bee keeping tool box', so can refuel if needed.

Basic husbandry tells you you should not wander into other people's apiaries with your gear unless it's been sterilised.

IMHO and the BBKA's etc, etc of course.

Easy to transfer AFB etc ......:eek:

Basic husbandry tells you you should not wander into other people's apiaries with your gear unless it's been sterilised.

:iagree: , Do what bee inspectors do clean gloves and sterilizer tools, not to sure about the smoker as it does not touch hive parts and the heat would probably destroy nasties

you should not wander into other people's apiaries with your gear unless it's been sterilised.

How often and how do you strerilise your smoker, or do you have a different one at every apiary (the logical conclusion to your post, not just someone elses apiary)? How did the bee inpsector sterilise his/her smoker without extinguishing it?

Just interested to hear how it was accomplished.

Sterilising at that low temperature is hopeful?

Touching the smoker then touching the hive tools, boxes etc transfers spores.

We would not allow anyone to use their gear around ours.

you should not wander into other people's apiaries with your gear unless it's been sterilised.

How often and how do you strerilise your smoker, or do you have a different one at every apiary (the logical conclusion to your post, not just someone elses apiary)? How did the bee inpsector sterilise his/her smoker without extinguishing it?

Just interested to hear how it was accomplished.

He wiped it (unsatisfactory) but it's a question of odds, he arrived fully sterilised and gave everything a scrub with a brush and solution at finish, he also had a disposable plastic cover (we use a plastic bag) on the squeeze box.

For our quarantine apiary, he used our equipment, which is specific to that apiary - shavings remain there in a sealed container ditto hive tools in sterilising solution, bee-suits are specific.

Added:

Of course it will be Sod's Law on those who try their best to remain disease free.

Last edited:

yep, i have 2 complete suits / veils, and wear clean gloves for each hive.
hive tools sterilised, but difficult to sterilize the smoker.

Latest posts

Back