Which poly nuc?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hux70

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Looking to add some more kit to the arsenal. What's the go to national poly nuc and which to avoid. Looking at maismore on STB, any good? Thanks in advance

My pick is the BS Honey bees, based on the Maisimore but more durable, top bee space, better feeder and can be split into x2 three frame nuc so more versatile and forgoing proper bee space compatible with the Maisie extensions.

Looking to add some more kit to the arsenal. What's the go to national poly nuc and which to avoid. Looking at maismore on STB, any good? Thanks in advance
Oh my ... you have opened a hornets nest ... none of them are perfect - but we all have our own preferences. I like Paynes poly nucs but what I don't like about them is the in-built feeder so I cut that out and it makes an 8 frame nuc - which are quite useful and I have a few slabs of kingspan that I have made into dummy boards so I can have anything from a three frame nuc to a nearly full hive out of them - gives you some versatility and they are not too expensive.

They have a good roof and they also sell extensions so I have my 14 x 12 format. They also do brood box extensions so that you can go to double brood. I overwinter colonies regularly in them - really apart from the feeder (and some people like them) there's not a lot I would change.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125609724@N03/albums/72157659314817230

What's the go to national poly nuc and which to avoid
BS for me.

Tried others and found them wanting: the Park has a letterbox entrance which is irritating to reduce or close, and the feet break if knocked. Positive points: it has a good Miller top feeder, is painted with very durable paint and converts to Langstroth in ten seconds. Poly is softer than more recent designs, but I have plenty of them and they've done a good job for ten years.

Maisemore looked good but early ones had no beespace between top bars and roof base, so bees were crushed easily. That put me off; the anomaly may have been resolved and they've had good reports. Useful brood box and super extensions are available.

BS tick all the boxes, as AM said. It's a well-considered design that came late to the market so avoids issues of earlier manufacturers. Maisemore extension boxes fit but the Maisemore frame runners must be cut off.

Paynes box is fine but has an internal feeder which is impractical; Paynes must agree because they offer an alternative Miller top feeder. Brood box extensions are available. Abelo are the latest to produce a polynuc: looks good if expensive; arrives painted; brood extension offered; not tried it.

Thorne stock two polynucs and Bee Equipment have a 4-in-1 which converts like the Park between formats and splits into 2 x 3 frame nucs as does the BS; it must have a feeder but one is not listed. I have no experience of either.

I have the BS Honey and the new Maiesmore, both excellent.

Only use the BS as a 6 frame nuc, it works well.

New maisemore deep roof has space for a slab of fondant, the feeder is good.

Nothing much to chose between the two unless you want the x 2 mating nuc option that BS gives you. Maisemore option is a bit larger, if storage space is an issue.

I would go with the 2 in 1 polly nuc by bs. Great for banking those extra queens you don't use. The ones you do use can be turned into full nucs, sold, or replacement Qs then you can turn the banks into nucs with leftovers just unite empties with queen rights

Last edited:
Bs poly for me, as a three frame they are a nuisance. If your intention is to use as a 2 way consider the upgraded divider. They are the better Nucs though. Ian

Bs poly for me, as a three frame they are a nuisance. If your intention is to use as a 2 way consider the upgraded divider. They are the better Nucs though. Ian
Yes they can be you have to inspect daily but I have an apiary on my door step, they will swarm off in days but at this time of the year I need queens fast. They requeen when you take one so its a constant supply

Last edited:
The bs used as a six frame is like a more expensive but inferior maisemor with an added groove for wax moth.
If you wanted to play cricket with the lid I think the bs one would last longer as a bat

The bs used as a six frame is like a more expensive but inferior maisemor with an added groove for wax moth.
If you wanted to play cricket with the lid I think the bs one would last longer as a bat
I've never had a single wax moth problem thankfully with nucs or hives. The cricket I'll leave to you I don't play

Reactions: sjt
I've never had a single wax moth problem thankfully with nucs or hives. The cricket I'll leave to you I don't play
The longevity of the nuc is supposed to be enhanced by the tough polly, my money is firmly on these nucs deteriorating badly once the groove gets filled by detritus and attracts wax moth.
I thought the cricket analogy was slightly less offensive than pointing out the solid roof is a bit pointless if you're not intending to batter someone to death with it.

The longevity of the nuc is supposed to be enhanced by the tough polly, my money is firmly on these nucs deteriorating badly once the groove gets filled by detritus and attracts wax moth.
I thought the cricket analogy was slightly less offensive than pointing out the solid roof is a bit pointless if you're not intending to batter someone to death with it.
You could have a point in the Grove so I'll use vaccilene

My vote goes to the Abelo nucs. I don't do anything challenging with my bees, so the lack of inner division ability or built-in feeders doesn't bother me. They fit six frames and still have a little maoeuvring room, take the same, rectangular, Miller feeder as the grown-up version of the hive and the multitude of ventilation options are great when transporting them.

The interlocks are very secure but easy to dismantle and the nuc feels very robust.

Maisemore looked good but early ones had no beespace between top bars and roof base, so bees were crushed easily. That put me off; the anomaly may have been resolved and they've had good reports. Useful brood box and super extensions are available.
Maisemores every time for me - the no bee space (there is only half) between top bars and roof was never an issue - just imagined by some IMHO, I bought one of the first ones out and many after and I honestly can't recall a bee being killed by this 'fault' The new roofs mean there is no longer an issue anyway, if anything, there's too much space as they changed the design to accomodate the whingers who feel compelled to put fondant over the top bars.

...not one of these, for certain. From watching his always excellent videos, I have a lot of respect for Lawrence from Black Mountain Honey. He's reviewed a lot of equipment and always declares the situation regarding any vested interest. Clearly, he has no interest in these Bee Equipment polynucs....I think, "dire" would sum it up. :)

Latest posts

Back