Which paint for an Asforth feeder?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melbourne12

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
We bought some Ashforth feeders from the Stockbridge sale. Half the normal price (good) but unpainted (not so good).

I won't take long to paint the surfaces that come into contact with the syrup, but I'm not sure which paint to use, or even whether to use wax or glue or some other substance. :confused: Obviously the treatment has to be waterproof, and harmless to bees.

Can I just apply a few coats of Dulux gloss and let it dry thoroughly?

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Hi,

Hedgerow Pete would use fibreglass resin. I made a frame feeder as per one of his videos and waterproofed it this way - no leaks at all.

Thanks for the advice - a little job for the weekend, I think.

Cheers

Yes, as is. My feeders are three near equal size partitions in a 100mm high 450x450 box, I put in about 2 maybe 3 tablespoons of PVA and with a brush force it into the joints and then paint the box with what it left. Give it a day to set and test, remember test with water up to the brim :cool:. Not sure how many tablespoons to the Lt but it seems to work.

Mike.

Dulwichgnome how many feeders you going to make with all that pva? :cheers2:

Don't do what one other major supplier does and use the special 'bee friendly paint' that reeks of solvent and a sample taken from the feeder isn't dry three weeks after they sent the feeder out to the customer.

This was perfectly acceptable quality according to all three directors at *********

I went down the PVA route rather than resin. Bought exterior grade PVA from Screwfix, and it seems to have done an excellent job. We won't need the feeders now until next year, so I might add another coat for luck.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back