Which ones do you prefer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ditto. I keep meaning to try garage door paint, as I think I saw that on the Apiarist blog and it looks rather nice and shiny ....
I bought some on the strength of that article. It goes on really badly and looks like it might need many coats....so I abandoned the idea. It's probably a bad workwoman rather than the tool but it wasn't for me

I bought some on the strength of that article. It goes on really badly and looks like it might need many coats....so I abandoned the idea. It's probably a bad workwoman rather than the tool but it wasn't for me
Inspired by BMH video I spray painted a complete poly hive with two full coats of an acrylic based paint - worked very well created a tougher shell on it which has yet to deteriorate in any visible way - 2 years old in Feb.

I really like maisemore poly nucs but blimey they get mouldy and green.
Spent a day cleaning 20 odd of them the other day and panted them.
These are some of my overwintering nucs weighed them today 4c and some of the bee's were in the feeders. View attachment 30079
Sloping roof on one of those boxes. By choice? :)

Sloping roof on one of those boxes. By choice? :)
NO I did notice yesterday and put the roof back level, they have insulation in the roof space and a piece on the reversable clear CB.
Probably Not a bad thing even with the slope though

ahhh, OK thanks, I did wonder if a metal paint would stick that well - you have saved me some money!

Inspired by BMH video I spray painted a complete poly hive with two full coats of an acrylic based paint - worked very well created a tougher shell on it which has yet to deteriorate in any visible way - 2 years old in Feb.
Hi Murox

Did you just use off the shelf spray cans, if so just wondering what coverage you got out of a 400 ml can?

Simon

I painted a couple of poly nucs recently, one with Cuprinol Garden Shades, one with Wilko knockoff (Garden Colour). The Wilko own brand stuff needed twice as many coats for equivalent coverage, I won't be buying it again even in the end of season clearance!

Don't forget to paint the inside of the feeders, sugar syrup can get into the poly pores and go mouldy.

Don't forget to paint the inside of the feeders, sugar syrup can get into the poly pores and go mouldy
To be honest, I've never painted the insides of the feeders and never experienced any mould.

Talking of feeders has anybody tried Murray’s way of filling the feeder with straw to let more bees access?

Hi Murox
Did you just use off the shelf spray cans, if so just wondering what coverage you got out of a 400 ml can?
Simon
I used 4 cans of this from Sprayster. Didn't actually need 4cans 3 would have just about been enough if I was careful. That did one 14x12 body two supers, roof and floor, two full coats. Allowed first coat to dry overnight, then stood all boxes together in a stack and applied final coat and left it for two days to ensure it 'cured' fully.

I used 4 cans of this from Sprayster. Didn't actually need 4cans 3 would have just about been enough if I was careful. That did one 14x12 body two supers, roof and floor, two full coats. Allowed first coat to dry overnight, then stood all boxes together in a stack and applied final coat and left it for two days to ensure it 'cured' fully.
Thanks
Simon

Talking of feeders has anybody tried Murray’s way of filling the feeder with straw to let more bees access?
Not personally, Chris B was using straw when I was up there, just avoids bees drowning and handy if the divider lids were missing in the feeders

I did see his post once but can't remember if he said gloss or not however I think he did mention adding thinners to the paint which made it easier to spray and melted the surface layer of the poly to give it a durable coat.

I have feeders with gloss painted inside and others unpainted and if anything, the painted ones are more prone to mould. Same with the nucs themselves, I used to paint them but didn't bother with the last lot and they are still fine after five years out in all weather.

I have some poly hives which are 40 years old and still going strong Have never painted inside and no nibbling. I use Sandtex dark brown smooth masonry paint. Protects from UV which is what knackers polystyrense. Give a touch up when any white shows through. They are pretty well camouflaged too when in the apiary which may protect against theft and I write my name and phone number on the inside wall of each box and roof with a black permanent marker pen.
I did get some bad mould in a poly feeder as I forgot to clean it when I took it off and used Cillit Bang black mould remover on it and after a good scrub leave 30mins and another scrub and a good rinse it was like new. At the end of the season it really cleans brood boxes inside. Using thymol in the feed helps a lot too, stopping fermentation and helps nosema I think.

Think I'm going to try this, this year. The slot in my maisemore feeders seems to be just a little tall, I'm thinking it might be because I painted the inside though and have raised it a fraction. Had a fair few bees go under when the feed had almost run out, and not find their way back out, lots of sticky deaths. used straw in the slot and it stopped drowning

Back