Which Lime tree?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscarmonster

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I'm planning on planting a few Lime trees, am I correct in assuming that it is the Small leaved lime that is much loved by our bees.

Nothing wrong with the large leaf ones. Mine are on them every June. Be careful, they grow very big and drip sticky stuff so don't plant where you park your car.
E

Ok, ta. They are to go in a 2 acre field planted up a few years ago, I think I will be getting a bit of space when Ash dieback gets here.

Know the feeling.... I am not sure about small leaf lime, I have a large leaf lime grove near me and have just planted both in my garden. Planted large leaf in last garden and within five years was a massive tree. Good flowers. Smells nice too. Had to leave it when we moved.

There are a few species that are poisonous. Small leaved lime fine. The original large-leaved is Tilia x Europaea which is OK, but due to it growing lots of basal shoots dripping honeydew when planted as a street tree is has been largely superceded by T. x Euchlora, which is narcotic to bees. Some others as well but not so common- stuff on the web about it but no time to write more.

Tilia cordata, the small leaved Lime, is the UK local one. Dont hold your breath though, it is said they do not yield until in the vicinity of 30 years old, and are not reliable until 70 years old. Its also the species most normally associated with honey yields here.

However that does not mean you should turn your nose up at other species if its the bees you are thinking about. I have a location near Edinburgh we use in the years OSR is nearby, and have learned to leave the bees there till heather time as they get a lovely crop of water white lime flavoured honey. In the grounds of a large place nearby there are several groves of American Basswoods (Limes to you and me). So non native types yield too, maybe even better.

No mention of Tilia platyphyllos being narcotic, so I think I will go for those.
Ta.

I don't plant trees for instant satisfaction.

Never suggested you did. We all do things that the full benefits of which will not be felt in our own generations, and there would be very little lime tree honey from planted trees if it were not for the work of past generations.

Ok, ta. They are to go in a 2 acre field planted up a few years ago, I think I will be getting a bit of space when Ash dieback gets here.

Don't know if it's an important consideration or not depending on location and use of the field but lime trees attract lots of wasps which can be a problem. A significant number of kindergartens in Germany have lime trees and countless kiddies get stung each year.

Never suggested you did. We all do things that the full benefits of which will not be felt in our own generations, and there would be very little lime tree honey from planted trees if it were not for the work of past generations.
I'll let you know how they do, you planning on being here in 30-70 years?

30 years and I hope I am still about........70 years? maybe my grandchildren!

Small leaved limes are common around here on the Welsh/English border but I think the further east you go the less common they become. Nectar release can be a problem if weather conditions are not favourable

Small leaved limes are common around here on the Welsh/English border but I think the further east you go the less common they become.
The native small leaf Tilia cordata tends to be patchy rather than east/west with concentrations in Lincolnshire, Essex and southern Welsh borders according to Forestry Commission surveys.

Limes, although usually the hybrid Tilia x europaea, were planted in parks and roadside. Ones around here usually date from the development of the area as housing in the early 20th century so tend to be 70-100 years old which is pretty far-sighted and thanks to whoever planted them.

There are a couple of huge Lime trees on the Council estate near my bees, identified as Tilia x europaea by the Council's tree officer a few years ago.

They were a splendid nectar resource this year - came into blossom just after the rain stopped and the sun came out in July. I could hear the bees on them as I walked underneath although the flowering canopy was 30+ ft higher.

(While you're at, make sure to plant some Pussy Willows for Spring pollen)

Tilia platyphyllos'
" europaea,
" maximowicziana,
" euchlora,
" tomentosa,
" orbicularis,
" petiolaris.

a couple have a stupefying effect on bee's but are still supposed to be worthwhile. for the critics i have no experience of how good they are.

Latest posts

Back