Which insulation board is good to insulate above the Crown Board?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john1

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
50mm is ample - kingspan, celotex or any other brand of PIR material

If you’re fitting it within a super you can use two layers of 50mm. First layer has a hole cut out for where the fondant goes...second layer is a solid piece

All of the foil faced stuff is much the same what ever the brand name.
In my locale Mannock brand it is sold cheaper at a local merchants then the big name brands, the data specs read the same.

Although not much by some peoples wallet, my local merchant per 8 x 4 sheet is a tenner cheaper then buying at other outlets so do you homework and search locally for best price.

If you are lucky a big building project may offer up some scrap/spare if you ask. In town a big refurb of offices in to flats was finished last year and many other similar projects have occurred, I saw a snapped sheet of 25mm in large bin/skip and asked. The let me have it, buy a roll of 100mm foil tape and voila one has a 50mm thick piece of PIR or if you like 75 or 100mm.

Last edited:
All of the foil faced stuff is much the same what ever the brand name.
In my locale Mannock brand it is sold cheaper at a local merchants then the big name brands, the data specs read the same.

Although not much by some peoples wallet, my local merchant per 8 x 4 sheet is a tenner cheaper then buying at other outlets so do you homework and search locally for best price.

If you are lucky a big building project may offer up some scrap/spare if you ask. In town a big refurb of offices in to flats was finished last year and many other similar projects have occurred, I saw a snapped sheet of 25mm in large bin/skip and asked. The let me have it, buy a roll of 100mm foil tape and voila one has a 50mm thick piece of PIR or if you like 75 or 100mm.
Hi Hemo, what is your local merchant called?

Picked up two almost full sized sheets of PIR from my son’s school today for free. The builders had abandoned it along with the rubbish and the school didn’t want it.

Latest posts

Back