Which Feeder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichieDug

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 colonies
Hello All

I'm a newbee due to get my first colony at the end of March 5 or 6 frames in national Brood box.

I have been advised that they may need some spring feeding, which would be the best type of feeder to get?

Contact, rapid or ?? any advice appriceated.

Richard.

Frame feeder ... you'll have lots of space in the box and these save messing about with things over the crown board. Easy.

i would use contact for slow er feeding. and rapid for autumn feeding.. i never use frame... but i am me :rofl:

I either use an ashforth type or An eke with a plastic insert ( I think they were economy ones from masemoore). I saves lots of messing about filling tiny feeders when you want to give them a lot but you obviously dont have to fill it right up. It also fits tidily on top of the hives.

Frame feeders every time and for bulk feeding one of the big top feeders, but I used them ONLY for bulk feeding. 4 gallons at a time.

PH

Frame Feeder not only to feed small amounts but used as a dummy board as well.

By the end of March they should only need feeding if they are short of stores as they build up. Can't say what the weather will be like but it won't be far off OSR blooming and almost sure to be some, close enough for them, if nothing better or closer, unless yo are really in the midle of the city.

If it is a nuc, there should be enough stores for a couple of weeks unless the weather is really atrocious. If an over-wintered colony in a National, they might be short but could be on more frames by then.

RAB

Frame feeders are brill for nucs. Plus as mentioned they act as good insulators/dummies.

PH

Yup , frame feeader would be my choice in your situation - great for building nucs into full sized colonies

Maybe even, no kind of feeder,just fondant feed, over crown board feed hole.

I have been thinking about getting dummey boards and thought that frame feeders were a bit of a fag but in light of the comments I will be getting some or may have a go at making one thanks to Hedgerow Pete's videos.bee-smillie

For nuc's a frame feeder... But for autumn feeding I like a simple contact bucket feeder.

Ben P

i have a wooden ashforth feeder which i filled a few days back quarter full,,but cheaking today i noticed 20+ dead bees in,, woods not smooth so not sure why they carnt climb out?

OK Where?

Hi everyone,
As no-one has mentioned it yet.
Where do you place a frame feeder in a 5 or 6 frame Nuc, I would suggest on the first frame that does not contain any brood, but then that might separate the pollen honey stores from the brood.
Any really good tried and tested answers please.
I have not used before, but have just built 3 and they are in use in three of my Nationals.
I made them out of thin ply and sealed them inside and out with Beeswax. Then tested for water tight, before use.
Bob.

If you're housing a swarm in a new hive - frames and foundation only - which type of feeder would you recommend then?

Hi Richard

While I'm happy to defer to those who say that the frame feeder is best, a contact feeder will do a perfectly good job as well, as long as you make sure to invert it away from the hive first (it will probably dump some feed before settling down and you dont want to drown HM).

If you can afford it get both and see which you get on with better.

Latest posts

Back