Where's she gone

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrysalis

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
We did our weekly inspection on one of the hives yesterday but this time couldn't see the queen. I'm a first time beekeeper and this is causing me a bit of distress. Last night I never slept I was so worried about queenie.

Anyway, rambling on... When should I go back in and see if she is there again?

All advice for a softy newbee much appreciated.

Chrysalis

Hi Chrysalis

Did you see eggs & larvae or any Q cells ?

If i see eggs i don`t worry about looking for the Q at all.

Darren.

Although it is nice to see HRH it is better to look for eggs this way you know the queen was present at least three days ago and the bees have the ability to raise a new queen if anything happens to her.

Hi Darren

Yes there were eggs and larvae. No Queen cells. I am just so used to seeing her every week it was a bit of a shock.

Thanks, just wanted reassurance. Will try my hardest not to disturb them until the weekend.

Last Friday could not see my blue marked queen in the nuc.
Plenty eggs/larvae.
Decided to move them into a full hive with some dummy boards the following day and there she was - it's easy to miss them.

Chrysalis....you most likely squat the queen against the inside of the hive when she was on the side of a frame,but as long as you see eggs all is not lost....can see beekeeping is going to cause you a lot of sleepless nights...:reddevil:

Latest posts

Back