Where to keep bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ameldridge

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I plan to start beekeeping next year and have got to the point of deciding where to keep my hives.

I live in an apartment so am sure the management company (nor my neighbours) wouldn't be to happy with a load of hives on my balcony :)

My wifes employer lives in a nice barn conversion backing onto farmers fields, there's an area the farmer doesn't use (quite a big area) so was thinking about asking him for permission.

Another option is a local vineyard, again I was going to approach the owners about this.

Of course there is the local associations apiary but would prefer a site closer to home.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this matter.

Thanks in advance :cheers2:

Ron...

Last edited:
Amelridge - a thought try a local allotment association ? and have a plan "b" as we found out when we first started if the colony develops a trait e.g. following they won't be welcome around people when/if they sting...
Farm sounds good as long as he doesnt spray? The Vineyard - consideration would picking the grapes clash with your colonies?
We have 4 hives in a cherry orchard but located so they aren't a problem to the pickers and have plenty to forage, plenty of sun and shade. Oh and he doesnt spray and has left the clover for the bees this year.
Loads to consider but I cannot stress enough IMO have a Plan "B". Good luck with your hunt..

Ameldridge, you dont say how tall your building is. Rural bees tend get a good diverse forage, the off-piste suggestion ... any chance you could be granted access to the roof? Local, isolated and no one could say the bees aren't forced high and away from people!

Also try google maps to have a look around your area you may be suprised at what you may come up with. :cheers2:

Ameldridge, you dont say how tall your building is. Rural bees tend get a good diverse forage, the off-piste suggestion ... any chance you could be granted access to the roof? Local, isolated and no one could say the bees aren't forced high and away from people!

Thanks for the suggestion Rosti but I know for a fact the management company will not allow bees on site, they moan about cats and dogs as pets ;)

Also try google maps to have a look around your area you may be suprised at what you may come up with. :cheers2:

Good suggestion VEG, great minds must think a like as I've already been doing this :) Been having a look at the vineyard I originally posted about.

Vines require quite a lot of hands on care during the season - potential conflict between workers and your bees - and vines do not yield anything for the bees so I would approach the farmer with unused ground.
Mike

Vines require quite a lot of hands on care during the season - potential conflict between workers and your bees - and vines do not yield anything for the bees so I would approach the farmer with unused ground.
Mike

Cheers for the input Mike.

I'll contact the farmer.

Ron

Most farmers will ask what area is best for you and the bees if they say yes,so its a good idea to have an area in mind first.

It breeds confidence in the farmer that you are on the ball.

In my are I find the amount of farmers that agree is about 4-1

Back