Where to buy hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdNewman

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hope this isn't against forum rules, but I'm after recommendations on where to get my new hives from.

I'm after two hives for the end of my garden, my wife says they have to look nice! Initially I was going to get a couple of WBC's from Thorne's because they do a good starter deal, but then I stumbled across these nationals from: http://www.thebeehiveworkshop.co.uk and to be honest they look so good I'd be happy to go with them instead on the wbc.

Suggestions / advice please??!!

Ed.

I have one of these hive and it is the best hive i have seen.. attention to detail, second to none really nice build quality. will be buying more next season. too good to use as i hive ;o)

one piece of advice get a flat roof !!!!

Get one with a flat roof, not a gabled roof. The gabled ones look nicer, but are a PITA if you want to turn them upside down and stack your boxes on.

nice hives

if you look at a neighbouring thread you'll find someone on ebay who does a nice line in croacian hives.

I am just finishing off a website that has a list of sellers/websites ect for Beekeepers with maps and feedback.

I am just doing the template and it will be ready.

These look lovely but rather pricey for my pocket.
I've bought hives/hive parts from various places. Agreed you get what you pay for but at the end of the day after a few years outside, a few journeys in the boot of the car and several years of 'scortching' they all look the same and do the job. The bees don't seem to mind either.
BUT they do look as they have been made with care. I wonder if the government can be persuaded to pay me more so I can buy some - I'll ask!

Hope this isn't against forum rules, but I'm after recommendations on where to get my new hives from.

I'm after two hives for the end of my garden, my wife says they have to look nice! Initially I was going to get a couple of WBC's from Thorne's because they do a good starter deal, but then I stumbled across these nationals from: http://www.thebeehiveworkshop.co.uk and to be honest they look so good I'd be happy to go with them instead on the wbc.

Ed.

The owner of the web site you mention is on this forum under TOM BICK, i buy my brood boxes from him, also Hivemaker on here makes very good hives
send them both a PM ( private message from the forum header bar), or if you want poly hives try Rooftops of ModernBeekeeping

I have one of these hive and it is the best hive i have seen.. attention to detail, second to none really nice build quality. will be buying more next season. too good to use as i hive ;o)

one piece of advice get a flat roof !!!!

just use a brick or two to wedge it , i have two strategically placed bricks next to me hive ,then i can use it just like a normal flat roof

i have a beehiveworkshop gabled roof for my garden hive ( to placate her indoors-she wants to paint the hive white but i am resisting) and flat roofs for the apiary

gabled roofs

perhaps beehiveworkshop could add a well constructed and beautifully finished gable roof stand to their range - would enable you to put the roof down level AND at a convenient height to reduce bending!!!

Ed.

Hi,

I've seen these on ebay and both look good.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/National-Ceda..._Pet_Supplies_Bee_Keeping&hash=item3cb1209fb2

But I have also spoken to the guy who makes these ones (below) as I think they look really good.

Had I not bought my starter through my division, I would have gone here, probably. Although I would have gone for the flat roof. These, however, look really good with the gabled roof.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/complete-new-..._Pet_Supplies_Bee_Keeping&hash=item4aa503991e

There are also plenty more on ebay and some go for really good prices.

Hi,

I've seen these on ebay and both look good.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/National-Ceda..._Pet_Supplies_Bee_Keeping&hash=item3cb1209fb2

But I have also spoken to the guy who makes these ones (below) as I think they look really good.

Had I not bought my starter through my division, I would have gone here, probably. Although I would have gone for the flat roof. These, however, look really good with the gabled roof.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/complete-new-..._Pet_Supplies_Bee_Keeping&hash=item4aa503991e

There are also plenty more on ebay and some go for really good prices.

I would also talk to you local BKA or the possible supplier of your Nuc of Bees to see whether a standard brood box is large enough in your area#

in london and south with modern Bee strains a larger 14x12 may be wise especially for Carnolian strain of bees supplied by most retail bee supplier shops, at least you should budget for Brood and a half

I may be criticised for repeating the same things over and over again but why do you all want to pay roughly twice the price for a wooden hive as you would have to pay for a poly hive? If you want to have a hive which look "nice" buy a second hand WBC and park it in the garden as I have. Don't keep bees in it of course but they make a good garden ornament and I use mine as a teaching aid occasionally to show how people used to keep bees and some folk still do - like people who drive old Morris Minors. Interesting old cars but on every practical level no match for something made recently.

I may be criticised for repeating the same things over and over again but why do you all want to pay roughly twice the price for a wooden hive as you would have to pay for a poly hive? If you want to have a hive which look "nice" buy a second hand WBC and park it in the garden as I have. Don't keep bees in it of course but they make a good garden ornament and I use mine as a teaching aid occasionally to show how people used to keep bees and some folk still do - like people who drive old Morris Minors. Interesting old cars but on every practical level no match for something made recently.

If I was going to have more than two hives I would total agree with you, in fact I was seriously looking at the beehaus. However these hives need to look good or my wife will not be happy (and the most important thing in giving me a happy life is to make sure my wife is happy!). My thinking is I will go for a few seasons to get to grips with beekeeping and then will move to an out apiary with more practical hives.

Ed.

just use a brick or two to wedge it , i have two strategically placed bricks next to me hive ,then i can use it just like a normal flat roof

i have a beehiveworkshop gabled roof for my garden hive ( to placate her indoors-she wants to paint the hive white but i am resisting) and flat roofs for the apiary

Yeah ;o) i have used long grass and upturned my gable. Now i have one gable and one flat. and ebay wbc in the garden show/bait/educational style :D

Things to consider when comparing prices from different suppliers are

1.Does the hive come with frames and foundation

2. How much is carriage

3. Does it have an open mesh floor or solid

4. Is it cedar or ply

I just bought a National from Thornes budget range. Made of Cedar, 2 supers, all frames included, free postage and an open mesh floor and all for £135 - cant go wrong at that price.

Roachman

Seems like you want WBC, but I have had 3 Thornes budget Nationals and cannot fault them. Occasional knot, but fine once filled. A bargain price as all included.

I agree with you. They look well made and the misses couldn't complain. Would make sure that it's put on a stable base though either some paving stones or a bit of concrete. A hive full up would add to some weight.

Latest posts

Back