Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

drex 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Bitterly disappointed. Just checked the take on my queen rearing and it is 0 out of 20.
I was very confident as for the first time I used a big illuminated magnifier, so was confident about larval transfer.
I used Dave Cushmans Cloake board method. Setting up on day 1 putting unsealed brood in top box ( seemed counterintuitive). Day 8 grafting destroying any emergency cells ( confident I got them all). Tomorrow is the day I would expect grafts to be sealed. Today all I found were about 5 sealed emergency cells. I wonder if these were just at the stage of larvae being floated out, but cells not extended, when I destroyed the rest . No time to explore further today. Will look at both boxes tomorrow and might cut out emergency QC's and use those, as I really like this queen. Thoughts please

Ian123 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
It’s always worth checking grafts a day or 2 after in order to rectify poor takes. You’ve obviously got the queenless part correct as they are drawing cells. I had very poor takes a week or so ago but the last couple of frames i did yesterday look like at least 20 on each frame. What are you grafting into how long did you take, I try my utmost to take the puddle of brood food the grub is sitting on. That sometimes means not the very smallest larvae! Bees themselves can be contrary. If they have their own larvae they may not like the ones you offer. Try again!

drex 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Grafting into new cup kit cups. The larvae were their own from the bottom box. Due to the novelty of my magnifying loupe I was able to go for larvae smaller than I have used previously. They were a bit dry when they went in the cups, perhaps that was it. I kept them moist under a damp towel. They were fed well, so had a fair bit of bee milk in the cells They came out of

Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
Bitterly disappointed. Just checked the take on my queen rearing and it is 0 out of 20.
I was very confident as for the first time I used a big illuminated magnifier, so was confident about larval transfer.
I used Dave Cushmans Cloake board method. Setting up on day 1 putting unsealed brood in top box ( seemed counterintuitive). Day 8 grafting destroying any emergency cells ( confident I got them all). Tomorrow is the day I would expect grafts to be sealed. Today all I found were about 5 sealed emergency cells. I wonder if these were just at the stage of larvae being floated out, but cells not extended, when I destroyed the rest . No time to explore further today. Will look at both boxes tomorrow and might cut out emergency QC's and use those, as I really like this queen. Thoughts please
understand it has to be older unsealed brood that’s brought up to attract nurse bees next to the grafts - sounds you might have missed a few younger larva and why they made emergency cells in preference to those you chose. Cloakboard is a good technique. Just have to keep going & try again. You’ll succeed if you can be resilient to set backs.

Nige.Coll 

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
some + a few more
Did you put the empty new cups in the hive to be conditioned by the bees before grafting into them?

Amari 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
That's a shame Drex. I remember when we first met more than a decade ago, when I had been keeping bees for 40 years, you were a relative beginner but you recommended this Forum to me - and I've learnt so much! Nil desperandum!

drex 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Thank you all. Cups were conditioned and slide put in 24 hours before grafts.
I followed Dave Cushmans instructions to the letter.
Bees will be bees. Will try again later today

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
14 now...and still counting
Make sure it is full of bees. I usually get a similar setup but as well as 6 frames of emerging brood which were added a week before, I will shake on grafting day another 5-6 frames of bees, usually 2h before grafting which is also when I slide the cover. They workout within 15min they are queenless. I re-open 24h after. Good luck 🤞

drex 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
After the encouragement on here, I did a second round of grafting today. I used half conditioned cups and half new. Used the same colony. There were plenty of bees, but I used a bit of a Ben Harden method with fat dummies to concentrate the bees. Only sealed brood left in top box, so no risk of emergency cells. I will report back in a couple of days

madasafish 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
6 to 8 Langstroth jumbos, a few Langstroth and National nucs.
I have found if my first grafts are poor eg 2 out of 10, then I regraft the same day I find out - and the results are much better, eg 5 to 6 out of 10. Whether it's my muscle memory getting better or the bees more used to the idea of being Q- and raising QCs I don't know It's happened twice so far this year.
Cloake Board system .

Latest posts