Where can I buy a scythe?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10-20 depending
You know, two handles, 5ft-ish bent ash handle etc of the sort that left the land in about 1870. Metal if necessary. Just anything to give my "meadow" (200 sq m) a summer cut without using some ghastly strimmer. Any ideas? Fleabay a bust.

I had one made to measure from Farm Supplies in Dorking about 25 years ago!

Probably best to find a supplier so that you can "test the fit"... mind your toes!!

Chons da

You'll also be popular playing bit parts of the grim reaper.....

plenty of places to get traditional scythes, just have a mooch around the interweb

I think Redwood is the man to speak to - he did a bit of research a year or two ago, in the end he made his own blade (although a variety were available online) and bought the shaft.

Here's a pleasant video extolling the virtues of the English scythe. His style is very much like Jack Hargreaves (if anyone remembers him?)

Have a boxed set of the out of town programmes, there is one on scythes

Here's a pleasant video extolling the virtues of the English scythe. His style is very much like Jack Hargreaves (if anyone remembers him?)

Minus the pipe.

Thanks for that, quite useful as I've a new Austrian scythe and I've picked up a couple of old English blades for a couple of pounds in local sales.

I do need to sort out a decent ash snath.

Jack Hargreaves (if anyone remembers him?)

Grew up to his mellow tones.

I am the OP so let’s drift this thread or more likely kill it.

That was before I was old enough to realise he was the heir to Thomas Hardy in regretting the neglect of rural Britain (Tess, Hardy as narrator, not verbatim: “The natural flow of people from the countyside to the town is as natural as the tendency of water to flow uphill when driven by a pump.”).

Hargreaves was immensely influential but in a currently-lost cause. Hard to see a similar advocate now. Rory Stewart at DEFRA would be a start but is hardly imminent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember my granfer cutting the small fields with a scythe - the ones he couldn't get the Massey Ferguson into. He stood upright as he scythed. The people on the video must get terrible back ache....

I have three scythes, none of which are as easy to use as people seem to imply. I have an Einell four stroke brushcutter now, far more efficient.

Latest posts

Back