Where are the bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
one
Hi I'm new to bee keeping.
Living in the middle of Nottingham in a low density housing area [Mapperley Park] full of trees and large gardens I am out all day most days and have yet to see even one Honey Bee.
I have seen a few Miner bees, small Bumble bees a couple of Queen wasps and today an Orange tip butterfly.
is it to early for Honey bees?
I would like to keep bees myself but have a small garden which is surrounded by neighbours so can't really keep any hives here.
Please let me know if I am witnessing the decline of the honey bee first hand.
David

Until I started keeping bees, I saw zero honey bees in our garden.

No garden is too small to keep bees if it is surrounded by high walls or hedges. Bees will fly up and out.

Hi David.
There are only certain flowers visited by honey bees. Perhaps the gardens are full of sterile flowers.
What do you have flowering in yours?

Hi I'm new to bee keeping.
Living in the middle of Nottingham in a low density housing area [Mapperley Park] full of trees and large gardens I am out all day most days and have yet to see even one Honey Bee.
I have seen a few Miner bees, small Bumble bees a couple of Queen wasps and today an Orange tip butterfly.
is it to early for Honey bees?
I would like to keep bees myself but have a small garden which is surrounded by neighbours so can't really keep any hives here.
Please let me know if I am witnessing the decline of the honey bee first hand.
David
Probably not ... honey bees are opportunists - they will go where the forage is the best in terms of reward for their efforts and the flying distance involved. There are relatively few wild colonies in the UK compared to those colonies looked after by a beekeeper - bees will fly up to 5Km for the right source of forage so it will rather depend upon what plants/shrubs/trees you have in your vicinity that will provide nectar or pollen at this time of the year as that is what will determine how many bees you see.

Of course ... it also depends upon how many colonies are found within your location.

Honey bees are not in danger ... other pollinators - very definitely are !

No despite all the BS honey bees in managed colonies are doing fine. Feral numbers have dropped IMO. If you can’t keep them in your own garden look for an out apiary and check with your local association.

Latest posts

Back