When to take super off?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BabyBee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I live in Scotland and I've noticed the last couple of nights it getting chilly. I got my bees this Spring and the queen (new) seems to have done a good job with brood on 5-6 frames. I added a super a couple of months ago as it all looked a bit crowed and though they have started drawing out the frames, there isnt much in the way of stores up there.

I'm wondering if i should take the super off now to encourage them to put their stores in the brood box and hopefully keep everything a bit warmer for what appears to be going to be, another cold one (if the amount of berries on trees is anything to go by!)

thank you for help
laura

have you taken any honey from the super or are going to leave it on as this is your first year. on your next inspection feel the weight of your brood and look for stores you should find a lot bees know best are all the brood frames drawn and if not full they will start to fill.
the main thing is if you are going to leave supper with honey in they should be ok

Hi Babybee,
You don't mention varroa treatment - If I were you I would clear, remove and store the super - the little bit of honey in it will not come to harm.

Assuming you are going to treat for varroa it needs to be done asap - I am treating now and I am 800 miles SOUTH of you. Apiguard or any other thymol based treatment is very temperature dependant.

Once that is out of the way you can then assess the stores level and feed if necessary. Good luck :seeya:

thanks folks, i've just taken apistan off (thats the one you leave for 6 weeks?). not much in the super and dont think much was capped - so will it just make them cold?

and no i havent taken any honey - there wasnt any to take plus this year was for the bees - not me

As you only have a small 5 frames of brood, i would take off the super and feed any frames with honey back to them above the crown board in early spring as a treat

They will be able to keep the heat in the brood box better and any september feed you give them will be in the brood box where they and the queen can easily access it

brilliant, thank you. i will take it off in the next few days. do i just pop the frames into an animal proof box till spring time?

BabyBee

You need to think about wax moth if you are going to store them.

24 hours in a freezer should sort them out, then bag them up so wax moth cannot get back into them.

Latest posts

Back