When to stop feeding

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loubee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I had a package of bees 2 weeks ago. Ive been feeding them sugar syrup, (1kg sugar to 500ml water), twice a week since. Today, although I topped up the syrup, there was some left. Also, the girls are taking in lots of pollen.
The brood frames now spread over 8 frames, (in a bog-standard national, "packing crate," hive). So, whendo I get rid of the syrup feeder and add frames into the super. At the moment, although the brood frames are filling nicely with worker brood, the 2 end super frames are not yet being developed with wax comb. Thanks.

Whats a packing crate hive,and not quite sure how they can be drawing out the two outside super frames if you don't have the super on yet,can't quite work out what your talking about. They normally draw the center super frames first,you then move them to the outside,move foundation to the middle,super when brood box foundation is drawn,and around eight frames of brood,do not over feed,congestion,no where for Queen to lay eggs.

Last edited:
Also with so much feed you will end up with jars of sugar water rather than honey.

Market it in the right way,could be competition for manuka.

Right, I'll try to explain again!! I have my bees in the brood box and my feed in the super - with a blank frame either side. (I was told and shown how to do it this way by an experienced beekeeper.) I was told to feed them up to get them established and whilst they were taking all the syrup previously, now they have stopped. RE the hive, everyone round here calls a bog standard national a packing crate hive. It's nothing fancy, just the standard kit.
So, when would folks stop feeding a new package of bees, ensuring that they are established, but also allowing them to feed themselves?

Sorry Loubee,in answer to your question I only feed once when making up a nuc on foundation,I assume it would be the same for a package.

I give 2lb's of sugar,that seems to get them drawing out a couple of frames and feeds the forager's with a little energy to get them out and working.

Now :) - They are big girls now and can forage for themselves.

IMHO At this time of the year feed 1 litre water /1kg sugar for a new colony with no stores (e.g. swarm) then leave them to it.

My 7 collected swarms have responded well to this- and are progressing . Yours are even stronger by the sound of it.

Thanks admin and heather. There does seem to be plenty of pollen going in. I'll leave it up to them to feed themselves now.

hi loubee
YOU say; I had a package of bees 2 weeks ago.
*a package of bees * consisting of bees Queen no frames no wax.
OR do you mean a nucleus with frames wax bees and brood queen?

There is a big difference
ALL THE BEST MIKE

Latest posts

Back