When to stop feeding fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerJ

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
The bees have been happily munching through fondant (put on as an insurance policy) - and are very happy with lots of pollen being returned on days like today (which was very sunny). Is it time now to stop replenishing the fondant and revert to syrup - or if the hive weight seems OK not worry about feeding any more at all?

I haven't inspected the bees as yet (assumed it was still too early) - but have removed a nadired super.

are very happy with lots of pollen being returned on days like today (which was very sunny).

If there is fresh pollen coming in, there should be fresh nectar too (even if only a little). If you have fields of OSR nearby, or even hedgerows, they should start coming into flower pretty soon

Is it time now to stop replenishing the fondant and revert to syrup - or if the hive weight seems OK not worry about feeding any more at all?

You should be able to inspect within the next couple of weeks, but hefting the hive should give you an idea of the level of stores.

It may be worth giving them just a little 1:1 syrup, if you're concerned, but don't keep on feeding them when they're bringing in nectar because they'll fill the brood area with stores and the queen will have nowhere to lay.

You should be able to inspect within the next couple of weeks, but hefting the hive should give you an idea of the level of stores.

It may be worth giving them just a little 1:1 syrup, if you're concerned, but don't keep on feeding them when they're bringing in nectar because they'll fill the brood area with stores and the queen will have nowhere to lay.

:iagree:
also you can feed fondant any time of year if they have low stores.

Thanks for the comments; hive weight seems fine so I'll leave well alone.

The bees have been happily munching through fondant (put on as an insurance policy) - and are very happy with lots of pollen being returned on days like today (which was very sunny). Is it time now to stop replenishing the fondant and revert to syrup - or if the hive weight seems OK not worry about feeding any more at all?

I haven't inspected the bees as yet (assumed it was still too early) - but have removed a nadired super.

Assuming in beekeeping often leads to problems or at least situations you didn't expect.

Knowing your local flora and what pollen / nectar sources are available and when is a really useful thing although it generally only comes with experience.

If at all in doubt I personally choose a warm day and you can tell a lot by just lifting the crown board.
No big inspection is needed generally to confirm how the bees are doing and pulling only a couple of frames gives you an idea if they have fresh stores.

I personally decided to check all my hives this weekend as I have fields of OSR starting to flower nearby and needed to assess what state the colonies are in.

It's a good job I did as several of the colonies are so strong that they needed supering straight away otherwise there would be no space for the queen to lay!

ps I was still adding small (takeaway container) amounts of fondant to most hives up to last weekend!

Attachments

• IMG_2589.JPG
    IMG_2589.JPG
    553.3 KB · Views: 586
  • IMG_2583.JPG
    IMG_2583.JPG
    540.2 KB · Views: 585
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back