When to re-check nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grub

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
3 14x12
Hi All
Tranfered my Nuc last Saturday, saw Queen (originalycaged) and new brood at all stages, put gallon of 1 to 1.
When do you think I should re- check them or shall I just leave alone.

Grub

A gallon! Good grief. Where are they to store that little lot?

I would have a peek to see the queen is safely out of the cage and leave well alone for another week.

PH

I would have a peek to see the queen is safely out of the cage and leave well alone for another week.

PH

:willy_nilly: Missed the half off :banghead:

She is already out of the cage when I tranfered them

Grub

PH

yes agree, i very rarely feed a nuc, at this time of year if the flow is on.. so i would take off the feed after 4 days as the will have taken 1 to 2 litres..all the books and folk law say feed a gallon of 1:1 but all that happens is they block all the brood cells with sugar , the queen has nowhere to lay, there is too few Bees to draw comb fast and you get queen cells

Bees dont read books

Last edited:
yes agree, i very rarely feed a nuc, at this time of year if the flow is on.. so i would take off the feed after 4 days as the will have taken 1 to 2 litres..all the books and folk law say feed a gallon of 1:1 but all that happens is they block all the brood cells with sugar , the queen has nowhere to lay, there is too few Bees to draw comb fast and you get queen cells

Bees dont read books
Thanks both
The feeder will be off before 6.00pm

Grub

Very good advice in this thread,just what I would of said.
Dont be supprised to find they have hardly touched the feed as there seems to be a good flow in most areas this week.

So is it a week today since you hived them ?

Get in there if it is and have a good look at your bees.
Dont go mad with the smoke,just a few puffs at the entrace,give it a minute then open up and waft a couple of puffs onto the frames to let them go back down.

Very good advice in this thread,just what I would of said.
Dont be supprised to find they have hardly touched the feed as there seems to be a good flow in most areas this week.

So is it a week today since you hived them ?

Get in there if it is and have a good look at your bees.
Dont go mad with the smoke,just a few puffs at the entrace,give it a minute then open up and waft a couple of puffs onto the frames to let them go back down.

so why do i not take my own advice, slaped a 4 pint feed (lemon grass VitC and teetree oil) on a new nuc in a 14x12 and did not do a further check on monday morning as cold and wet (it was a cheap £70 including 6 frames swarmy Carnolian Nuc)...1st caste from hive 1st may/(three castes after)

inspected to day/..all feed gone, open Queen Cell, curled young day 4 brood no eggs, no marked queen...so assumed swarmed weds/thurs...anyone got a calm non carnolian Queen for sale thatv does not swarm at the drop of a hat?

Last edited:
so why do i not take my own advice, slaped a 4 pint feed (lemon grass VitC and teetree oil) on a new nuc in a 14x12 and did not do a further check on monday morning as cold and wet (it was a cheap £70 including 6 frames swarmy Carnolian Nuc)...1st caste from hive 1st may/(three castes after)

inspected to day/..all feed gone, open Queen Cell, curled young day 4 brood no eggs, no marked queen...so assumed swarmed thurs/friday...anyone got a calm non carnolian Queen for sale thatv does not swarm at the drop of a hat?

Can't you put in some eggs from your other hive and bring on a queen that way?

*runs for cover* :gnorsi:
:sifone:

Bees dont read books
Interesting.

Why do they seem to draw QCs??
Is it to swarm??

I had a similar situation recently.
I fed my 8 frame colony some syrup, which they hardly touched, to get them to draw out the remaining 3 frames of foundation, for the queen to lay in and get the foraging force nice and high for the flow.
They proceeded to make about 8 QCs, some with larva and jelly.

Can't you put in some eggs from your other hive and bring on a queen that way?

*runs for cover* :gnorsi:
:sifone:

i have a virgin queen...my other two hives are going fine, nice italian girls but if i rub her out and wait until i can put eggs in it will set me back four weeks before the new Q is laying, think imight try some new loke buckfastx cecrepia cross

I had a similar situation recently.
I fed my 8 frame colony some syrup, which they hardly touched, to get them to draw out the remaining 3 frames of foundation, for the queen to lay in and get the foraging force nice and high for the flow.
They proceeded to make about 8 QCs, some with larva and jelly.

I think in your case it is again the a abundance of extra food in the form of syrup and lack of comb space, if the foundation was a bit stale then they are less likely to want to draw it out...BEE thinking good food,crowded...lets move on, but iexpect you may get castes rather than a prime swarm

Last edited:
i think this is why i've got so many QC's too! i put 1:1 on to help them draw out new frames and i think this is what they've done. great - not the situation i want but at least i know why now! thanks folks

Quick update:
Taken feeder off yesterday 6pm ish, they had used about 2 litres and are covering 6 frames. I will have a good look around next Saturday/Sunday depending on weather thanks for the practical advice.
I am known for a good feed if you come to my house including the bees !!
Grub

Having read this thread I'm going to take the feed off my nuc this evening.

They are drawiing brood foundation and filling with syrup. I may put an undrawn super on, without a QE to give them more room and somewhere else to store, to give her ladyship some space to lay.

Ian

Latest posts

Back