When to put supers on?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the things about getting older is that the mind still thinks your body is 26 years old and the body recognises that it is NOT 26 any more ... those twinges are signs of the conflict between mind and body and should not be ignored. I have an arthritic knee, whilst it is normally something I can live with, I made the mistake of pushing it too far a couple of weeks ago with the result now that I am really suffering and suspect that I have done some serious damage - not that I can get a doctors appointment before next week to be able to find out !

Take care - beekeepers back is a pretty real hazard in this hobby.

I am 26...............errrr...........plus the other 14 years. You have pretty much nailed what happened.

I am very mindful when lifting as I have a dodgy back, so my technique was good. It was at a good height to lift from as I have tall stands. And tbh it was heavy, but not too bad. It was less difficult than lifting full supers off to put the clearer boards in when they are stacked high.

So like you say, I'm not 26 anymore, so if I can split the weight, I will be doing so in the future. It seems even when I think its all ok, I can still hurt my self.

I relay struggled with the weight of supers last year, I was running Ply ones too that weigh a ton. I remember one that was a 9 frame and the bees had stuffed the gap between the supers too, my arms were shacking from the strain. I have some proper job ceder supers to try this year, so am hoping that will help.

The heavy lifting involved with keeping was not something I had considered before starting. And is the one think that may have put an early end to my keeping. Luckily I have a very good friend I can call on when ever the lifting gets too much for me. He does not even like honey and refuses payment. And I can always burrow bee suits from work too so dont have to worry about kit for him.

I am 26...............errrr...........plus the other 14 years. You have pretty much nailed what happened.

Wait until you get the wrong side of 70 and your brain still thinks you are 26 .... it's surprising how much wear and tear has come about as a result of a lifelong membership of Abuse Your Body ! What's worse is the recovery period from injuries seems to extend exponentially with every year that passes ... There'll be a few on here that know exactly what I mean ... lifting correctly and within your limits is essential (coupled with fish oil supplements and glucosamine !) and the occasional application of Voltarol ...

Last edited:
Wait until you get the wrong side of 70 and your brain still thinks you are 26 .... it's surprising how much wear and tear has come about as a result of a lifelong membership of Abuse Your Body ! What's worse is the recovery period from injuries seems to extend exponentially with every year that passes ... There'll be a few on here that know exactly what I mean ... lifting correctly and within your limits is essential (coupled with fish oil supplements and glucosamine !) and the occasional application of Voltarol ...

I am feeling the decline at 40! - not sure I will get to the other side of 70.

lifting correctly and within your limits is essential - its the second half of that sentience I need to work on. Luckily I can still shake off most abuse, but it wont always be that way.

Good tip, we are thinking of inspecting today, we have a brood and a half and I thought we'll lift them off together to clean the dead bees off the bottom,forgetting my hubby had two bulging discs a few years back, thank you for the reminder to take care of the beekeepers back.

Or the wrong side of 86 in my case!! Bollocks to loads of pills though - I have enough of prescribed medications for self and wife to satisfy that appetite and as for Holland & Barrett junk, please enjoy my share of your pills if you have shares in that 'witchdoctoring' company.

Or the wrong side of 86 in my case!! Bollocks to loads of pills though - I have enough of prescribed medications for self and wife to satisfy that appetite and as for Holland & Barrett junk, please enjoy my share of your pills if you have shares in that 'witchdoctoring' company.
Is it the Russians or Chinese who currently own it ?

Just to cheer everyone up.......
What I'm realising is that as the decades pass, the body starts crumbling exponentially. Between, say, 30-50 there is little change. 60-70 slow realisation of increasing decrepitude sets in. 70-80 (that's as far as I can report) joints stiffen up, difficult to get your leg over a stile, pay grandchildren to do jobs which require repeated bending, etc, etc.

Gives us all hope that there's a chance of beekeeping for a few years beyond the biblical life expectations ... I don't do Holland and Barrett - better and cheaper sources of good products. I find cod liver oil capsules and glucosamine do help with joint pain (originally recommended but not able to be prescibed by my doctor). I'm also trialling Boswellia which has had some very good write ups for easing arthritic pain. The key though is to keep moving - even when it is painful gentle exercise within limits is better than sitting and feeling comfortable ... it's just annoying that things that used to be easy now have to be considered and sometimes assisted with a bit of mechanical assistance involved !

Just to cheer everyone up.......
What I'm realising is that as the decades pass, the body starts crumbling exponentially. Between, say, 30-50 there is little change. 60-70 slow realisation of increasing decrepitude sets in. 70-80 (that's as far as I can report) joints stiffen up, difficult to get your leg over a stile, pay grandchildren to do jobs which require repeated bending, etc, etc.
Ha ha - would that my grandchildren were close enough - they are about 80 miles away.

I have two things I would not be without in the workshop (saves my knees bending too much):

1. A powerful magnet on the end of an extending rod ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAGNETIC...977777&hash=item1a1ec43cce:g:RKgAAOSwpDBZkszM
2. A mechanical pick up tool...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-...581451&hash=item3b38db6eee:g:nEIAAOSwc3ZdeVLZ

Good tip, we are thinking of inspecting today, we have a brood and a half and I thought we'll lift them off together to clean the dead bees off the bottom,forgetting my hubby had two bulging discs a few years back, thank you for the reminder to take care of the beekeepers back.
From glorious, warm sunshine to black clouds and a drop in temps here, hope it's better in Barry. I had plans but they've just changed :rolleyes:
Tell him to take care, lift together if possible. I have permanent sciatic nerve damage due to a bulging disc and no treatment thanks to covid. I have to constantly think about what I'm doing and how to do it safely (hopefully) Life changed dramatically for me and I still don't know what actually caused it so please be careful.

Did inspection today the one hive ticking along nicely the other has exploded.masses of drones,crammed with bees couldn't find the Queen but have eggs larvae and brood, lots of cups some with eggs. Should we have done a split at this stage?

Did inspection today the one hive ticking along nicely the other has exploded.masses of drones,crammed with bees couldn't find the Queen but have eggs larvae and brood, lots of cups some with eggs. Should we have done a split at this stage?

I faced that dilemma today but decided not to split today, as still some very cold nights to come. May look to split in a week or so

Latest posts

Back