When to move them?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorking.Dan

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
In spite of my efforts to prevent it my colony swarmed on tuesday (neighbours weren't too pleased. I set up a nuc with frames with stores etc a few weeks prior with a swarm lure in it hoping to attract a stray swarm. In stead my bees just came in, cleaned in and cleared it out.
well, as my lot had swarmed when i was at work, a neighbour told me they've cleared off. Friday came. I got an urgent call from my other half informing me that the neighbour came to our door indicating to a huge mass (the swarm) around the nuc. Thbey've settled in and are bringing in pollen etc.

Anyway, my question is.
When is a good length of time for me to transfer them from the nuc, to a hive i have waiting?

Hope to hear from you all. Dan.

Dan, questions first,
How far away is the new location from said bait hive - are you re-housing in the absolute present location or moving, if moving what distance?
Are you maintaining frame size when moving e.g. std nation v 14x12?
If this is a swarm do you have a laying queen yet?

Here's my repeat reply (first one appeared to be posted OK @ circa 0530ish).

Firstly, as you have found out, do not put honey in bait hives. It is a good way to spread diseases.

Your swarm needs to be rehived ASAP. If not sooner. They will be wanting to draw comb and there appears to be little space for that to happen. Furthermore if it is a 'huge' mass of bees a nucleus hive is simply not big enough.

RAB

Erm..... Well the nuc is of stantard national size. It's around 15 or so yards from the original hive with a garage between the two amongst other obstacles. The "bait" Is frames from my current hive. There waqsn't much honey in it i just put the frames there to store when i switched frames earlier this year. I'm not sure if the queen is mated but there's workiers bringing in pollen etc. My bees are going to my allotment which is around 3-4 miles away. (made sure it was far enough away. I just don't want to move them so soon and stress the up and coming queen. There's a couple of un drawn frames in there to to keep them busy. Any further advice guys?

Erm..... Well the nuc is of stantard national size. It's around 15 or so yards from the original hive with a garage between the two amongst other obstacles. The "bait" Is frames from my current hive. There waqsn't much honey in it i just put the frames there to store when i switched frames earlier this year. I'm not sure if the queen is mated but there's workiers bringing in pollen etc. My bees are going to my allotment which is around 3-4 miles away. (made sure it was far enough away. I just don't want to move them so soon and stress the up and coming queen. There's a couple of un drawn frames in there to to keep them busy. Any further advice guys?

i would move them now!!!, in the first 24hours if possible as distance between location then does not cause such a problem

put a QX underneath the brood box for seven days to keep her in and move them in ASAP then leave for seven days feeding syrup if you must after three days but not much if the flow is on

put a QX underneath the brood box for seven days

Unfortunately the OP didn't tell us (and doesn't seem to know) whether this is a swarm with a laying queen or a virgin.

If she is a virgin, the excluder under just might not be a very good idea!

Regards, RAB

there is only one entry/exit hole at the front. the bottom is mesh (meant to be a temp place) I aquired it last year with my 1st swarm. Is it advisable to chaeck at some point tomorrow? Unfortunately, i don't have the time to move them till saturday but they seem to be quite content where they are for the time being. There's plenty of empty cells for a queen/new queen to lay. If if is the old queen i can assume i will see young larvae/eggs by now right? My thought was to leave them a week or two then move them or am i just playing novice here?

put a QX underneath the brood box for seven days

Unfortunately the OP didn't tell us (and doesn't seem to know) whether this is a swarm with a laying queen or a virgin.

If she is a virgin, the excluder under just might not be a very good idea!

Regards, RAB

yep ,point taken, must read more around the question before anwering, not what i think it says, more what does it not say

Back