When to Inspect Bait Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveJ

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
When I inspected my apiary last saturday I noticed my bait hive had been successful. I didn't inspect then just looked throught the glass quilt and gave them some 1:1. From local reports I received of a flying swarm I believe they arrived the previous sunday. I did my normal inspection that morning and noticed a few scout bees having a look but thought they where just robbing the hive. There is a sizable ammount of bees in the hive so I'm think either prime swarm of 1st cast, though I'm tending towards a cast this late in the season. So when should I give the hive its first full inspection. Should I leave it until any virgins queens have been mated or have a look ASAP. I want to at least give them a dose of apigard this weekend.

Cheers
Steve

I would ignore them for another week or two until they have had a chance to settle in. If you start poking around and treating them before they have had a chance to fully establish some sort of order and allow the queen to laying to confirm she is good they could well abscond.
bee-smillie

Thanks for that. I was thinking that if I treated before she started laying I wouldn't have a problem with mites in sealed brood.

SteveJ

Hi, I put in a cast swarm in a nuc box about 4 weeks ago, fed and left them alone for about 2 weeks and notice pollen being taken in, my wife also saw a very large/fat queen go in and about 2 weeks ago move the frames into a full hive. Lots of comb drawn and plenty of eggs. Still feeding, will look in this weekend and see about putting on a super. Advice: Let them settle by themselves. Good luck with the freebee!

Latest posts

Back