When to inspect after leaving hive with sealed QC?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksjs

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My hive swarmed, I left 1 good sealed QC in original colony. Some advice says leave for 2 weeks then inspect while other advice suggests 3 weeks.

My understanding is that QC hatches on day 16 and so leaving for 2 weeks after sealed QC gives queen about a week to hatch and a week to mate. 3 weeks is same except 2 weeks to mate. I think the reason for the extra week is to ensure no issues if you inspect while she's on a mating flight.

I'm guessing leaving for longer is safer so I'll probably err on that side of things but just wondering if anyone has any particular views on this.

Thanks.

Patience......... I am learning patience reluctantly..............
I think of it this way...... how much good can come from inspecting it earlier......... compared with leaving it another week. If you inspect it after 2 weeks and she is not laying what will you do........... all advice would be shut it up again and leave her another week or 2.
The worse that can happen by leaving it is another weeks brood gap and a few flers not being replaced, although you will still have hatching brood, but if she isnt laying then what are you going to do, leave it longer or take drastic action.
Enjoy the break
Pete D

For what it's worth - I did an artificial swarm last weekend, left an unsealed QC in the a/swarm box. I'll be leaving them alone for:

3 days (guesstimate of days left from hatching to cell being sealed +
10 days (until she ecloses[posh word for "emerges", specifically an insect emerging from a pupa]) +
14 days (in this weather, I'm going to allow a week for mating & starting to lay plus a bit extra in case rain delays play) =
27 days total (apart from a very quick look this weekend to make sure the queen cell has been sealed & there are no new ones).

So assuming the QC is sealed when I look at the weekend then I won't be opening them up again until the first full week of July.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back