When to change brood frame size

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sibutcher

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Can anybody let me know when is the right time to switch from bs brood box to 14x12? I'm in London on the edge of epping forest. My bees are still unbelievably busy bringing in pollen / nectar. I've got two hives, one brood an half and one bs brood that I made up of 2 nucs that only had one queen. The brood / half is doing great as is the single bs brood. Being a new beekeeper I'm just a bit concerned about getting the single brood through the winter regarding stores. I definitely want to switch to 14x12 poly for next year on one colony and run double brood on the other to make my own mind up which I prefer. Any advice would be appreciated.

Regarding any move do nothing till next spring then evaluate the colonies.
For now you need to make sure you have treated for varroa and that the colonies have enough stores. The rule of thumb is 40lb which is 7/8 standard brood frames.

Regarding any move do nothing till next spring then evaluate the colonies.
For now you need to make sure you have treated for varroa and that the colonies have enough stores. The rule of thumb is 40lb which is 7/8 standard brood frames.

I agree ..

Mine are now propolising like mad a sure sign that they are getting ready for winter (I can see the build up around the inside edges of the clear crownboards)

I have one hive with a crown board I need to change but that's going to be a quick off with the old and on with the new ... I would not be pulling frames out and tearing their work apart at this stage. Plenty of people overwinter their bees successfully in standard nationals - just keep an eye on the weight and be ready with some fondant if they start to feel a bit light. If they have been well fed they should be fine until well into the new year ... a late start to spring is the time to worry and fondant is your best friend.

Thanks for your help and advice. II did treat with apivar at the end of August and both colonies took down a lot of syrup. The apivar strips were removed weekend before last. I havn't found any more varoa on the floor of brood/half but counted 4 on the other floor. I will keep a check on the varoa and treat with OA in January if necessary. Both hives have 8mm twin wall cover boards fitted, that I made up and 50mm of celotex under the roof. Both hives had 4/5frames of stores when I looked during my last inspection when the apivar was removed. They have been very busy since then bringing in lots of pollen, so hopefully filled the last couple of frames. I wasn't planing on doing anymore intrusive inspections until the spring. What I couldn't find on any of the forums was advice on the best time in the beekeeping calendar to do the switch to 14x12. Would you place the new 14x12 brood box/frames over or under the BS national brood in march (weather permitting) or leave it till later in the year, say June?

Would you place the new 14x12 brood box/frames over or under the BS national brood
Over, in my experience: one year they drew eleven frames of comb and filled it with brood in ten days. Over, because heat rising from the nest below will provide the 35C needed for wax production.

I will keep a check on the varoa and treat with OA in January if necessary.
You'd be better off treating mid/late December if it's needed - more of a chance of them being broodless. Once Christmas is over it's as if a button has been pressed and they start brooding in earnest

Note taken. I will do the OA sublimation in December.

Over, in my experience: one year they drew eleven frames of comb and filled it with brood in ten days. Over, because heat rising from the nest below will provide the 35C needed for wax production.
Thanks for the advice. I was definitely leaning towards over in any case.

Latest posts

Back