When to add super +is there a mentor out there

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helenp

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Bees arrived 11th June.Now on second lot of syrup and only two frames left for them to draw up with foundation.Should I add supers?
Also -anyone out there close to Malpas in Cheshire wanting to be a mentor--all help gratefully received-or willing to let me visit your hive.
Thanks in anticipation.

Exciting times :)
What about the bees, how many frames are they covering? I would say add a super, it provides extra space for your bees ... Just in time for the July flow. Stay ahead of them and add your next super when they have filled about 2/3 - 3/4 of the first.

You may add a super but it is highly likely the workers will move some of your syrup up there to give the queen room to lay. That is to say that you will not be able to sell any of the super's contents as honey as it will be adulterated with syrup. Alright for your own use, though

And, in addition to Sherwood, if the weather continues as recently they will be needing to expand in a far-too-large space. Brood nest size is an important factor. If it comes warm and 'summery', slower brood nest expansion may not be so noticeable.

RAB

Please note well. It matters not a hoot how many frames "they are covering" what DOES matter is how many frames of brood they have.

I super on 8. Eight good frames of brood. Yes the brood box looks full of bees because it is and so they are ready to cope with the pretty dramatic expansion of their space when supered.

Also please be aware that there is very likely a nectar flow on, and so your syrup is not needed.

PH

thanks for replies so far--also meant to ask :- I used an entrance block to give themm a smaller area to defend.With the warmer weather and increase in numbers should I remove it?

I leave mine on all year round. You can remove them if you really want to but with wasps etc on the increase at the moment you just give them a massive entrance to defend which can, in turn, make them grumpier/more defensive during inspections.

I think you can argue this one either way but I've seen entrances left fully open long enough being propolised by the bees to reduce them.

Again, in the UK i'd be more worried about bees drowning than overheating, at least until climate change gives us a middle eastern/Mediterranean climate.

I keep the entrance block in nearly all of the time except for big colonies (double brood) so there is a 6" entrance. That will be fine.
As has been posted above, it's frames of brood that's important. I super on 7 - usually.

Poly Hive said:
Please note well. It matters not a hoot how many frames "they are covering" what DOES matter is how many frames of brood they have.
Seems you need to explain everything you say in detail here, for fear of a certain few jumping on your post to put it down. By covering I meant covering brood but there you go, I didn't actually say that so I better go quietly to the naughty corner.
Not a very friendly forum at all this place, there again there are always self proclaimed experts in all walks of life, what a pity.

Swarm? Beginners need it spelt out in detail, and this detail has caused confusion in the past.

Nothing unfriendly intended just ensuring clarity.

PH

Latest posts

Back