When to add entrance reducer/wasp guard?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malawi2854

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hello,

My colony are on the increase again (following swarm earlier this year, and subsequent raising of new queen), they have all started to emerge again, so numbers are on the up again at last.

I was just wondering when I should be adding the wasp guard/entrance reducer? I haven't spotted a huge wasp problem, but then, not sure if I would?

I certainly don't want those pesky wasps causing my bees a problem - but equally, I have learnt to my detriment what blocking up a beehive does when they still want to be out flying!!!

Thanks!

Hello,

M
I was just wondering when I should be adding the wasp guard/entrance reducer? I haven't spotted a huge wasp problem, but then, not sure if I would?

I
Thanks!

i have my reducers on since last weekend, one weaker hive has the entrnace reduced firther by foam to about half size

i expect kent is same climate as london, the flow stopped in the drought and has just picked up a bit

In my very limited opinion I think you should reduce the entrance when wet supers are on - best to have bees queuing up to get in than a pesky wasp(s) robbing your hive. My wet super is now on and I can smell the honey from a couple of feet away - or maybe that is my imagination?!!

What exacty do you refer to as your 'wasp guard/entrance reducer'?

I just use short pieces of about 21mm square section wood and choose the length appropriate for the prevailing conditions.

Made in 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 and 1/16th of the entrance width, they would, summatively, give a choice of entry-width of all 1/16th increments possible. What more might you want?. I don't, of course, bother with separate fractional pieces. About 1/2 and about 3/4 is usually enough to block off - for all but the weakest colonies (and I don't have colonies that weak at this time of the year unless in a nuc - so simple for me).

Regards, RAB

Hello,

You would!
Wasps here are the worst I've ever had. Entrances reduced for the past 3 weeks.
Cazza

Reduced entrances for 4 weeks. Managed to eradicate the main source of wasps, but it's wet so queuing only happens when it's sunny.. Which is 2 days in August so far :-(

You would!
Wasps here are the worst I've ever had. Entrances reduced for the past 3 weeks.
Cazza

Yes, they are hard to miss when you have a problem. I've had one entrance reduced by 3/4 and the other down to a pencil width. The bees seem to be defending this well though the wasps keep trying (theres a huge funeral pyre in front of the entrace of the little *******).

If theres no fighting (with other robber bees) or wasp activity then the need to reduce would seem unimportant, though it'll do little harm unless you have a huge amount of foragers needing the whole entrance.

What exacty do you refer to as your 'wasp guard/entrance reducer'?

Regards, RAB

Its a Beehaus Rab and I think they have a metal entrance block for wasps.

Steve if you are having no problems with the wasps then no need to fit but at this time of year perhaps its not a bad thing to fit it can help with any robbing that may take place.

Ah, yes a beehaus, thanks.

Their 'wasp guard' is a joke. A big joke. Don't use it except for a severe wasp attack.

Leaving a total of 4 bee ways for anything but a very small colony in normal circumstances is tantamount to closing the hive during a busy period. Just reduce the entrance to half or a third for most circumstances. It matters not, what you choose to do it with.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back