when is it time for first inspection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Hi all Beekeepers.
I have been very good so far, and have abstained from inspecting my hives. Can anyone tell me when the conditions will be right?
I don't want to open them up too early, but on the other hand i don't want to leave it until their on the brink of swarming.
I'm sure the weather will be warm enough soon. Also who was the first to do their first inspection? be honest now, who has given in to temptation?

Have a look asap when the bees are flying and the temp is 12c.
I opened mine and lifted each frame the week before last.

The moon needs to have waxed and wained at least one time since pankake day
The glass needs to be rising and the thermometer mercury at room tempurature
Mothers day should be passed
After Easter if it was early, before if Easter be late.
Never before all fools day

Thats just a few quotes from my old beekie book collection.

I'm going to try to make a wattle hurdle tomorrow... just found some instructions.... or may have a go at hedge laying!!!!
Whatever will be leaving the little ladies alone!

We had a quick look on Monday this week just gone. Just lifted a frame from the super and had a look about at the rest in situ, but then our mentor has far to travel and needed to know what was going on to advise us. I can't wait to get in that brood box and have a good look about. Suppose I'll have to wait now ( sniff )

- bet you can't beat my thatched electric kettle!

:)

EDIT

Sorry Kaz, I was replying to icanhopit!

Last edited:
first inspection

Hi all Beekeepers.
I have been very good so far, and have abstained from inspecting my hives. Can anyone tell me when the conditions will be right?
I don't want to open them up too early, but on the other hand i don't want to leave it until their on the brink of swarming.
I'm sure the weather will be warm enough soon. Also who was the first to do their first inspection? be honest now, who has given in to temptation?
Hi Shane
For a full inspection , I would wait until above 15 degrees centigrade.
Rach67

- bet you can't beat my thatched electric kettle!

:)

EDIT

Sorry Kaz, I was replying to icanhopit!
:smilielol5:
Solar powered frame extractor..... 12v motor from PV cell and car battery
Solar heated hot water

and a hay box cooker
:party:

But for getting back to nature met an old guy living in the woods in a yurt... gives banjo lessons............. in Bodmin

My bees are flying well out of their hives should I open them for an inspection?

One problem here and that is I am deaf so how would they respond , do you think they know I'm deaf?. I suppose a sting would indicate that they were not up for it.
I really am deaf.
Mo.

Thought it was 12 degrees. Doesn't Hooper say 12? Don't hold me to that though, I'm going from memory, which never serves me correctly :)

I really am deaf.
Mo.

i think you should thefefore remove the roof and stick a bare finger in the feed hole of the crown board to see if they are ready

you should then be able to feel the bees dancing and waggling. when you decoded it, you would then know the bees want you to remove the crown board, let alll the heat out and inspect them ,you might even get a grant from the Univ of SX

Thanks for the advice , What a brilliant way to see if your bees will allow an inspection.

Nice enough here today for an inspection :)
Problem is the weather has brought out a family of gardeners , busily filling bags of manure from the heap in the field immediately behind the apiary !:(

The bees are busier though , whacking in the pollen in meaningful quantities.
Always a pleasing sight :):)

John Wilkinson

Thought it was 12 degrees. Doesn't Hooper say 12? Don't hold me to that though, I'm going from memory, which never serves me correctly :)

Picked up a copy and had a look - TH actually says 17 C as a minimum unless it's an emergency, and also sets an expectation that the first full inspection will be in April :)

Latest posts

Back