When do you start Autumn Feeding

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwt_uk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello all,

When do people usually start autumn feeding? I started at the beginning of the month feeding 2-3 pints of inverted syrup at 2-4 day intervals. I read from one source that it was prudent to finish feeding by mid Sept but having looked at other sources it seems others wait until much later in the month. All my colonies are in single BB.

Thanks

I don't think about feeding until towards the end September, and with autumn feeding - don't give it to them in dribs and drabs, pile it on a gallon or two at a time and they will just hoover it down and store it pretty quickly

I don't think about feeding until towards the end September, and with autumn feeding - don't give it to them in dribs and drabs, pile it on a gallon or two at a time and they will just hoover it down and store it pretty quickly
Thanks very much. Should I stop feeding as I am now and then just pile it on nearer the end of the month if needed?

You're quite a bit further North than I am so I'd just get it done now, what's your local forage like?
Perfect, thanks. Forage is pretty limited now. No balsam and have not seen ivy in abundance but am sure they will be able to find some. Some bright yellow pollen coming in maybe ragwort.

Perfect, thanks. Forage is pretty limited now. No balsam and have not seen ivy in abundance but am sure they will be able to find some. Some bright yellow pollen coming in maybe ragwort.
My bees are all over my coralberry bushes at the moment. It normally lasts well into ivy flowering giving the bees an overlap of choice. I'm also delighted to see a few HB plants over adjacent to the main drainage dyke by the village playing field this year. Hopefully with my beekeeping hat on it'll become established and spread.

My bees are all over my coralberry bushes at the moment. It normally lasts well into ivy flowering giving the bees an overlap of choice. I'm also delighted to see a few HB plants over adjacent to the main drainage dyke by the village playing field this year. Hopefully with my beekeeping hat on it'll become established and spread.
You don't need your hat on ;) have you seen how far the seed fly when they are released?

As it happens I have just, last week, put on the feed by the gallon five litres. Similar forage situation and ragwort still available, but little or no ivy at all. For me ragwort is one of the last sources of forage. Some years, this year too, odd pockets of delayed meadow sweet are available; I spied some yesterday whilst out walking, although its not very close to the hives.

As it happens I have just, last week, put on the feed by the gallon five litres. Similar forage situation and ragwort still available, but little or no ivy at all. For me ragwort is one of the last sources of forage. Some years, this year too, odd pockets of delayed meadow sweet are available; I spied some yesterday whilst out walking, although its not very close to the hives.
Our highest apiarys are being fed ad-lib almost, much the same situation. altitude low forage.
Can't wait for the ivy.

In the south I like to finish by the second week of October. That means starting at the beginning of October if they need it.it is also dependant on forage and weather which can be different year on year! Go with your gut!

In darkest wettest northernmost Staffordshire I started feeding nucs in August and full hives now - fondant only as an experiment. There is a balsam flow on but the weather in the past week has been poor - cloudy with occasional rain and forecast is more of the same - so limited foraging.

From (of all places) a facebook reminder this morning it seems that I began winter feeding my colonies in 2020 exactly a year ago (I'd posted a picture of a queen excluder jammed full of dead drones with their heads stuck in the wires) I recall I had to as all the hives were perilously low on stores.
I've just finished my DASH baseline inspections with the SBI this morning and I can honestly say that I'm in no rush to start feeding this year, some of the colonies (especially nucs) were ram packed with stores.

From (of all places) a facebook reminder this morning it seems that I began winter feeding my colonies in 2020 exactly a year ago (I'd posted a picture of a queen excluder jammed full of dead drones with their heads stuck in the wires) I recall I had to as all the hives were perilously low on stores.
I've just finished my DASH baseline inspections with the SBI this morning and I can honestly say that I'm in no rush to start feeding this year, some of the colonies (especially nucs) were ram packed with stores.
My nucs have better stores, but at work no feeding at all for any colonys.

Checked stores whilst putting Apivar strips in & spraying with Nosevit. All have a full super and most have between 2 & 4 brood frames of honey and 2 frames pollen. There’s a balsam flow on in the valley and my bees at home have occasional balsam stripes, it’s a good mile away. Most queens are slowing down laying with my ‘star’ colony now with just 3 full frames sealed brood no eggs or larva (was 10 frames of brood 2 weeks ago). Same as last year.
I’m putting extracted supers on at the moment for cleaning up & I’ll start top up feeding next week, with the aim of finishing by end of the month

Latest posts

Back