When do the sales start?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick W

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 Hives
Hiya

Quick question, which are the quietest months for suppliers?

I know Maisemore has a sale on at the moment - when do the other have winter sales do you know?

Cheers

Nick

Thanks for that one - is it all seconds stuff normally or the good stuff as well? :)

Depends what you mean. Hives etc are normally 'seconds' wood in part.

Rest is stuff that is bought in specially for the sale or are slow moving lines, or close to running out of date, or end of lines, etc, etc.

You pays your money and gets what you pays for. Some I would regard as good value, some less so. Ymmv.

Regards, RAB

And let say you have 2 hives, one made out of seconds for say £110 and cedar for £180 ish.

Is the difference in price worth the quality? Or buy the best you can afford each time?

Cheers

NIck

I bought two National Brood bodies, roofs and budget floors from the Thorne's January sale last year. I made the error of not putting them together straight away and left them in a heated room for 4 months, 1 was niceley warped when I came to put it together, other than that it is fine, obviously it's not as top class as say Hivemakers which do look beautiful, but for the price I'm not complaining.

The roofs are also fine and I have no problems with them. The budget floors though are not so hot and I won't be getting any more of those. I've got some excellent OM floors from another hivemaker in Somerset (sorry Hivemaker, but I was given them........)

I have also been given a lot of National parts, brood boxes, supers, roofs all old, all had wax moth, been badly stored etc, but they have been by and large repairable, some are cedar, some are pine, I can tell by the weight as they are now all painted. Regardless of if it is a first or second, well treated they will last you for years, buy what you want to look at and pay what you can afford.

Frisbee

what about frames? Will they be much cheaper on sale?

Lauri

Frames? It's like this: you feel you can afford to throw them away, rather than recycling them, if you only need a few each year. It is when there are hundreds that it becomes worthwhile to recycle even the cheaper ones. If a very few are poor quality they are worthwhile. Again ymmv.

Regards, RAB

Of course, Thorne's sale begins on 1st January, but if I remember correctly, the VAT rate changes back to 17.5% also, so that will have an impact. Unless you are getting a good price on bargain items, you might just save by taking a chance and placing your order earlier.

Back