Wheelbarrow for moving Nationals

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickbowyer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Some hives and a few nucs
I have been looking for a garden wheelbarrow with flat bottom of sufficient size that will also accommodate the 460mm square base of a national hive. Can anyone recommend a manufacture/style? I have had a few odd looks as I wander around garden centres with crown board vainly trying to find a wheelbarrow large enough.

Easiest way I have found is to use a normal wheelbarrow, remove the 'bucket' and replace with a simple platform built to the required size (decking boards or such)

Have a look at a fishing barrow aka carp barrow. They have flat bottoms, lips around some sides and some have underslung bags. Some are collapsible as well.

Easiest way I have found is to use a normal wheelbarrow, remove the 'bucket' and replace with a simple platform built to the required size (decking boards or such)

Yes a good idea. I made a frame to fit over the top of the barrow and used it to wheel my hives 400 yards. Just strap them down we'll.

If no DIY skills go for a fishing trolley.

Worthwhile looking at this if you want to make your own

http://theapiarist.org/hivebarrow/

Buying a new one to then dismantle it might seem extravagant but I wouldn't want to move 4 full supers on something built with a rusty old barrow found in a skip.

Last year i went into Homebase (other sheds are available!) In Rugby and discovered by accident the ideal barrow, 100litre branded Saxon with a puncture proof wheel (we have a lot of blackthorn), a polyethylene pan and steel frame.

The only disadvantage was that it was flatpacked but that did allow me to paint hammerite over the galvanised steel frame. Unlike all other barrows that i had seen (and i had been searching for some months), the bottom of the pan is big enough to take a national and even takes those floors with landing board and underfloor entrance that i use.

Not sure if every Homebase has these as the one that i usually use does not. Just lucky to be passing the Rugby one needing something else.

Ps its ok for gardening if you really have to.

I have done the same as suggested. Normal wheelbarrow, remove bucket. Add new flat base from cheap wood. Win!

I use normal wheel varroa without any arrangements. And I move honey boxes too. IT is too heavy to my ischias.

If you get a carp barrow I'd recommend you get one with double front wheels or triple for stability when moving hives. Something like this is ideal.
new%20big%20boy%20cammo.jpg

The advantage of an actual wheelbarrow over the flat platform built over a wheelbarrow base is that it has sides which means that you can load all the various odds and ends eg smoker and fuel around the hive being transported without them all falling off over bumpy ground. It also pays to check the width of any gate you have to get through - my wheelbarrow will just fit through the footpath gate leading to my hives.

If you get a carp barrow I'd recommend you get one with double front wheels or triple for stability when moving hives. Something like this is ideal.
new%20big%20boy%20cammo.jpg

I've got a bit of fishing gear, but that's ridiculous ... you could probably shift a small trawler around on it ;)

I've got a bit of fishing gear, but that's ridiculous ... you could probably shift a small trawler around on it ;)

I believe Carp anglers these days equip their Bivvies with beds and satellite TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I believe Carp anglers these days equip their Bivvies with beds and satellite TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lol, mate of mine is a carp angler, literally everything bar the kitchen sink.

Lol, mate of mine is a carp angler, literally everything bar the kitchen sink.

IMG_20150601_194352.jpg

I made one from a new barrow from B&Q

And then changed the wheel because it always got punctures IMG_20150601_195003.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

56492676bc2bbb26f519f5d8fe33acc8.jpg

And I have carried 6 full supers on it!

Why have you got an extractor in your apiary? That must be a recipe for an orgy of robbing unless you extract in the middle of the night.

Well spotted I thought someone would rant on!

Drying in the glorious sunshine after being cleaned ready for extraction inside in the honey room first Extraction of the year OSR this was last year not this season!

Makes no sense

Does to me saves me six trips to apiary to bring back supers!

Beekeeping is what works for me!

Apiary has moved since so Incan now drive straight to hives and load up but had to barrow stuff back and forth before could not take transport due to streams and boggy ground

Latest posts

Back