Whats Wrong With This

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tom Bick

This is a photograph of a super part of a hive that is on ebay at the moment the firm is selling around 5+ a week at the moment and they sort of indicate they are beekeepers but something seems to be wrong to me.
Its possible the photo was taken in haste be for the super was finished and I have sharpened the photo as the ones on ebay are not that great.
So can you spot what I think is a mistake or is it just my eyes.

Yes no runners do you think their is room for them the frames look fairly flush with the sides in the photo

I think theres only a few mm in it, imo they will be a bugger if your bees like to propolise everything. try hoiking those out smoothly.

It looks close to me strange as the rest of the hive looks well made from what you can see in the poor photographs I suppose someone who gets one and if they know what they are looking at will raise the alarm or it might be a nightmare by the end of the summer.

Yes no runners do you think their is room for them the frames look fairly flush with the sides in the photo

The frames look almost flush with the top of the box. If runners are added, the frames will be raised ~¼ inch and they could then be proud of the box.

OTOH, I have seen supers where the side wall top was chamfered instead of having runners. It's hard to tell from the pic if that's the case here.

As Grizzly says, no bee space under the frame lugs. That will mean they are likely to be fastened down very securely! Not so bad in a super but if it were used for brood.....

Also the bee spaces next to the side bars doesn't look overly generous - might be just enough. I wonder if the bee space is only allowed for as 'one bee space' instead of 'one bee space each side'.

Box does not look like a National -m doesn't appear to be a square box - a mobile phone pic?

Simple way would be to ask the vendor for the actual internal dimensions and also if the frame lugs are sitting directly on the rebate.

I have had to extricate brood frames from an under-sized box before now (2 - 3 mm each side). Not an easy job. The bloke who sold them (at an auction) apparently said he had never had any complaints before!!! As I recall it was correct on the outside dimensions.

Regards, RAB

Not supprised Hombre,I think most members now have me on their ignore list :laughing-smiley-004

An ignore list just means you miss half the story.

Besides I'm sure the flag is Admin conditional :grouphug:

Not supprised Hombre,I think most members now have me on their ignore list :laughing-smiley-004

Now thats a thought.

Unfortunately I just went home and home for me has no computer or TV come to that although I have just ordered a lap top I have told people its so I can deal with business later in the evening but reality more of this

I think they may have the foundation in the wrong way, compared to the diagram I normally use to do it - maybe that's what Admin's water was telling him?

FG

Latest posts

Back