What's wrong with local bees? :)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't describe it as a hissey fit, sat drinking coffee on the sofa.
Not angry, not excited totally chilled out.
Haven't had a pop at anyone here in any comment, just stated my own opinion.

As I said I have no idea who you are and have no memory of ever meeting you or talking to you ever before, yet you seem to imply you know me and we have spoken before.

I have no axe to grind just a low tolerance of BS.

.....clearly and quite right too ;)

Up here in the far north of Scotland we have some ancient breeds of bull which will thrive without winter protection and on minimal food provisions. They'll do a lot better if you give them more protection and and if you're prepared to give more feed and shelter when appropriate you can easily raise more "exotic" and productive breeds; albeit with no better a class of bullshit. ;)

Is it not a similar situation with bees? I'm prepared to accept that local/mongrel/locally adapted bees might lack the prolific nature of bees bred with external input and I'm happy to accept as possibly a free bonus, accidental input via the drones of other people's bees. I want hardy bees which produce some honey with the absolute minimum of feeding and treating

Not being as experienced as everyone alse here I have not had the chance to become disillusioned about this Garden of Eden of bees of my imagination. ;)

.....clearly and quite right too ;)

Up here in the far north of Scotland we have some ancient breeds of bull which will thrive without winter protection and on minimal food provisions. They'll do a lot better if you give them more protection and and if you're prepared to give more feed and shelter when appropriate you can easily raise more "exotic" and productive breeds; albeit with no better a class of bullshit. ;)

Is it not a similar situation with bees? I'm prepared to accept that local/mongrel/locally adapted bees might lack the prolific nature of bees bred with external input and I'm happy to accept as possibly a free bonus, accidental input via the drones of other people's bees. I want hardy bees which produce some honey with the absolute minimum of feeding and treating

Not being as experienced as everyone alse here I have not had the chance to become disillusioned about this Garden of Eden of bees of my imagination. ;)
Well I would get some as near native as you can then. your in the right place Mr fiat. By which I mean Amms.

OK we get it.. you do not like the bees you have in your locality and seem not to be prepared to do anything to bring about change for the better.

I seem to recall another Nigel somewhere north of Watford who had the same axe to grind as yourself!

Why is it not possible for a beebreeder to select out bees that are fit for his perpouse and adapted to their local environmental conditions. in the UK with the existing local bees?

I wonder????
I think it is possible. However the total lack of any authoritative body willing to promote and guide and educate in this country is a huge stumbling block. Some individuals do group together, and their attempts should be applauded but I think it will always remain 'difficult' without national unity and agreement.

I think it is possible. However the total lack of any authoritative body willing to promote and guide and educate in this country is a huge stumbling block. Some individuals do group together, and their attempts should be applauded but I think it will always remain 'difficult' without national unity and agreement.
An authorative body is worthless on its own..
Most local to me beekeepers are not members of the BBKA.

So unless it is compulsory, little will happen local to me.. and compulsion is useless if it is unenforceable (see Covid)
So we come back to compulsory registration..

An authorative body is worthless on its own..
Most local to me beekeepers are not members of the BBKA.

So unless it is compulsory, little will happen local to me.. and compulsion is useless if it is unenforceable (see Covid)
So we come back to compulsory registration..
I wasn't even thinking BBKA.
unity and agreement ~ promote and guide and educate not compulsion

I seem to recall another Nigel somewhere north of Watford who had the same axe to grind as yourself!
You're barking up the wrong tree there Dave I can assure you - look how easy it was for us to catch you when you tried to register again.

You're barking up the wrong tree there Dave I can assure you - look how easy it was for us to catch you when you tried to register again.

I've never been banned and never changed my name since I joined here.

I've never been banned and never changed my name since I joined here.
The person Apple was referring to however, was given a multitude of life bans under various aliases. but rather like the proverbial unflushable one, kept popping back up.

The person Apple was referring to however, was given a multitude of life bans under various aliases. but rather like the proverbial unflushable one, kept popping back up.

I never tried to hide... just seemed to me that this Nigel was just like the other unflushable one!
Anti Amm and Pro importation.
I respect reasoned argument... but disrespectful comments with reference to excrement.. not necessary!
AND not required on this forum !!!
Yeghes da

I ask this with a smile and I hope it can be answered the same way.
Do you know I would like to believe that and every time a similar thread is posted I live in hope but my hopes are always dashed. Ever the optimist though, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back