What's wrong in the video.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. I’ll try again.....😤

Can you see or hear what the problem is?
Video
Strikes me that they don't like what you are doing to them - it's not often I hear such vocalisation from my bees when I'm inspecting them - if I do I rather tend to close them up and come back another day. Is there something else that is affecting them ? It's the sort of noise you get when you open a queenless colony but there's a nice queen there with a white spot and she looks fine ?

cant pick anything out....i was going to say it appears there is an emerged QC in there whilst there is still a marked q

but that isnt a 'hear' situation so not sure

You mark virgin queens ?

I mark/number mine when they emerge in the incubator. Most people wait until the queen is mated though. That's fine if you don't need to know the lineage. I want to track them for life.
The weather has been so bad here, I was planning to do my first graft this weekend....but it's raining AGAIN!

I'm getting vail bouncers from the hive next door you can hear them but not see them the colony with the marked queen we're fine.
I'd be a bit worried that bees from a hive you are not inspecting were behaving like that ? Are you sure they were from another hive - had you recently had the adjacent hive open for some reason ? If not I'd be assessing that colony for agressive traits with a view to changing the queen. What's the history of the queen in that colony - indeed - is there a queen in the colony ?

You mark virgin queens ?
Yes, as @B+. I mark them when they emerge in my incubator. The one I have was a swarm cell I cut out and put in the incubator a couple of days before she emerged. She's now in a 6 frame nuc. Due to start mating flights from tomorrow.

Reactions: B+.
Marking virgins from incubator is FAR easier than trying to mark one from a mini nuc/nuc - they tend to be flighty.
Started doing it three years ago - no issues.

Reactions: B+.
I mark/number mine when they emerge in the incubator. Most people wait until the queen is mated though. That's fine if you don't need to know the lineage. I want to track them for life.
The weather has been so bad here, I was planning to do my first graft this weekend....but it's raining AGAIN!
Presumably not open mating them though ? I've never marked virgins as I worry that the marking will affect their ability to mate and possibly draw attention to them from birds looking for an easy meal ?

Yes, as @B+. I mark them when they emerge in my incubator. The one I have was a swarm cell I cut out and put in the incubator a couple of days before she emerged. She's now in a 6 frame nuc. Due to start mating flights from tomorrow.
Marking virgins from incubator is FAR easier than trying to mark one from a mini nuc/nuc - they tend to be flighty.
Started doing it three years ago - no issues.
Seems not to be a problem then ? Do you get any that don't mate or return from their mating flightS ?

I marked virgins last year straight from the incubator, didn’t have any issues with them mating.

Presumably not open mating them though ? I've never marked virgins as I worry that the marking will affect their ability to mate and possibly draw attention to them from birds looking for an easy meal ?

Yes. Even the open mated ones. That way, I know which maternal line they come from.
I only make daughter queens from the better performing stock. It's easier to treat them all the same. When I have enough for an II run, I just allow the surplus to open mate.

Oh dear ... the thread seems to have wandered off track ... I wonder if there will be complaints from the purists - Have the mods noticed yet ? :)

No issues with mating marked virgins. I started doing it after watching one of Richard Noel's videos. They are docile and easy to mark in comfort at my desk without interference from other bees. When I start to do II this year I'll be clipping them as well.

Latest posts

Back