Whats with this cold weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here, pelting rain from night well into the day. When ever will the weather become decent? Has that new volcano in the Reykjanes peninsula in Iceland upset the weather that badly?
Peak sunspot number April 2012 = 116
Peak sunspot number May 2021 = 3
Sunspot number today = zero.

Any chance of a 'global' temperature anomaly chart rather than a temperature anomaly chart for Australia that only goes up to 2019?

My understanding is that Australia is heating up because of excessive water extraction. The ice extent on Antarctica on the other hand is growing and is larger than the 1981-2010 median which is inconsistent with elevated global temperature claims.

Any chance of a 'global' temperature anomaly chart rather than a temperature anomaly chart for Australia that only goes up to 2019?

My understanding is that Australia is heating up because of excessive water extraction. The ice extent on Antarctica on the other hand is growing and is larger than the 1981-2010 median which is inconsistent with elevated global temperature claims.
Nonsense.

I'm happy to leave her for a bit.

I'll go and put a feeder on top tomorrow and leave the fondant between the boxes that way they can take their choice I guess. Hopefully once this week's weather clears we will get a flow on and I can take it all off.

it sounds to me like you do need to leave her now until you see eggs and then follow your split plan...i'd be cautious about feeding too...do they really need it...is there any nectar being backfilled into comb where brood has emerged in UBB and what were the stores like in LBB when you last knew and are mid supers being used? Others can guide better but id be nervous of feeding syrup in that situation as i'd fear you risk them storing that in your mid supers. Whilst it hasnt been a great spring there is still plenty of forage around us certainly and a fair amount of nectar coming in between cold bursts (which now seem to have gone away)

My understanding is that Australia is heating up because of excessive water extraction. global temperature claims.
I know Aussies like extracting the urine but to suggest they alone are responsible for Australia becoming a parched and arid desert unfit for human habitation is a bit unkind.. :love:

I know Aussies like extracting the urine but to suggest they alone are responsible for Australia becoming a parched and arid desert unfit for human habitation is a bit unkind.. :love:
I'm pretty sure the great wizzard Rincewind was helpful in the return of the wet to FourX when he visited those parched lands. Just need to watch out for the drop bears and the ladies with very big feet 🍺

it sounds to me like you do need to leave her now until you see eggs and then follow your split plan...i'd be cautious about feeding too...do they really need it...is there any nectar being backfilled into comb where brood has emerged in UBB and what were the stores like in LBB when you last knew and are mid supers being used? Others can guide better but id be nervous of feeding syrup in that situation as i'd fear you risk them storing that in your mid supers. Whilst it hasnt been a great spring there is still plenty of forage around us certainly and a fair amount of nectar coming in between cold bursts (which now seem to have gone away)
I've taken the mid supers off. They were empty and untouched.
No backfilling in the top box and bottom box was dry as well. So they didn't have a drop left.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the great wizzard Rincewind was helpful in the return of the wet to FourX when he visited those parched lands. Just need to watch out for the drop bears and the ladies with very big feet 🍺
What exactly have you been smoking......?

Excessive water extraction affects climate. That isn't climate change denial. Probably a concept too far for social media sheep to grasp.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-86-of-water-from-barwon-darling-report-finds
and

https://phys.org/news/2017-01-anthropogenic-groundwater-impacts-climate.html

Yawn! 2 more random and irrelevant links. Guardian article not even taking about absolute water extraction levels - just bemoans the fact that 86% of extraction comes from a small numbers of organisations.
Second article just states water extraction influences climate change - well woo-pee-do. I can cite a study tells us blackberry juice is red - about as relevant. Karol, just tell us yourself, the links add nothing you know. Do you honestly think the number of citations matters more than the quality - it’s just so time consuming; but every time you post an irrelevant one you just loose a bit more credibility. In medical school we used to call it ‘donning priestly robes’ - it’s a fraud.
Over and out.

Last edited:
Yawn! 2 more random and irrelevant links. Guardian article not even taking about absolute water extraction levels - just bemoans the fact that 86% of extraction comes from a small numbers of organisations.
Second article just states water extraction influences climate change - well woo-pee-do. I can cite a study tells us blackberry juice is red - about as relevant. Karol, just tell us yourself, the links add nothing you know. Do you honestly think the number of citations matters more than the quality - it’s just so time consuming; but every time you post an irrelevant one you just loose a bit more credibility. In medical school we used to call it ‘donning priestly robes’ - it’s a fraud.
Over and out.
I don't think so ... If I lived in the areas where such excessive water extraction is taking place I think I'd be seriously worried. There is clearly a problem in parts of Australia and anyone with half a brain woud be making a connection between water being taken out of the ecosystem and the climatic conditions they are facing.

And ... for what it's worth - you are getting pretty near making personal comments ..... time for bed I think before it goes much further.

Reactions: mbc
I don't think so ... If I lived in the areas where such excessive water extraction is taking place I think I'd be seriously worried. There is clearly a problem in parts of Australia and anyone with half a brain woud be making a connection between water being taken out of the ecosystem and the climatic conditions they are facing.

And ... for what it's worth - you are getting pretty near making personal comments ..... time for bed I think before it goes much further.
Maybe & interesting - but the links add nothing.

Excessive water extraction affects climate. That isn't climate change denial. Probably a concept too far for social media sheep to grasp.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-86-of-water-from-barwon-darling-report-finds
and

https://phys.org/news/2017-01-anthropogenic-groundwater-impacts-climate.html
It may or may not affect local conditions but I'll just leave this here which considers other influences - https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...=1146702229&set=gm.4047614988608690&source=48

Headed back to the weather ,here ,it is howling rain.just moved the hive and replaced the queen (during a dry spell a few days back) all seems calm inside with my ear to it

I currently have 4 hives that are (I earnestly hope) headed by virgin queens. If we don’t get some decent weather soon, we might well be drifting towards DLQ/DLW territory.

Next week is looking better here (Wiltshire) but the spring crop is less than half what It was this time last year.

Latest posts

Back