Whats with this cold weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rock_Chick

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I'm so frustrated , I really need to go into the bees, only done 1 inspection so far, its just so cold and a icy wind, its about 8c today with a wind chill, I was all planed to have a look, bees were flying the sun was on the hives, I got all my stuff ready , it stated raining clouds rolled in and that bloody wind, now not many bees flying. And it gives rain for most of next week and again not much above 8-10 c

If it’s really that bad and you can’t do a flying inspection, just heft the back to check weight then crack the lid and add a box if there looking crowded. Then at least you’ve made an effort.

I'm so frustrated , I really need to go into the bees, only done 1 inspection so far, its just so cold and a icy wind, its about 8c today with a wind chill, I was all planed to have a look, bees were flying the sun was on the hives, I got all my stuff ready , it stated raining clouds rolled in and that bloody wind, now not many bees flying. And it gives rain for most of next week and again not much above 8-10 c
Don't fret ... even down here in the balmy south I've only managed two and the one I managed yesterday was probably the absolute minimum I could get away with ... the only things you need to worry about are whether they have enough stores and even in your neck of the woods they should have been foraging a fair amount in the last few weeks if they are reasonable sized colonies. The other thing are signs of swarming and with the weather forecast for the week ahead I think you can safely say that they are not going to swarm unless they are really bonkers ... or they are absolutely honey bound (also unlikely).

Best to wait for a day when the temperature makes it possible - I've found colonies can react very badly to being opened up when it is cold and windy ... slight rain with an umbrella as long as it's warmish and not blowing a gale they will tolerate. Pick the first day that fits and be ready in advance. A cloth over the frames in adverse weather conditions can also help a lot.

Don't fret ... even down here in the balmy south I've only managed two and the one I managed yesterday was probably the absolute minimum I could get away with ... the only things you need to worry about are whether they have enough stores and even in your neck of the woods they should have been foraging a fair amount in the last few weeks if they are reasonable sized colonies. The other thing are signs of swarming and with the weather forecast for the week ahead I think you can safely say that they are not going to swarm unless they are really bonkers ... or they are absolutely honey bound (also unlikely).

Best to wait for a day when the temperature makes it possible - I've found colonies can react very badly to being opened up when it is cold and windy ... slight rain with an umbrella as long as it's warmish and not blowing a gale they will tolerate. Pick the first day that fits and be ready in advance. A cloth over the frames in adverse weather conditions can also help a lot.
There is plenty of stuff going in, all seem busy enough, one 1st inspection,I put on new floors and transferred into clean Brood boxes, I was hoping to put one of the smaller ones into a nuc before it got too big so I could sell it on, another one I don't think had a queen but eggs so thinking laying workers, again was hoping to check on this weekend, another did have queen cells, but i took them down and give a bit more space by giving taking out some old pollen clogged frames and left with foundation. all were left with good stores, so hoping by next week If get some time off work ( hopefully ) I can do what I wanted to do today.

There is plenty of stuff going in, all seem busy enough, one 1st inspection,I put on new floors and transferred into clean Brood boxes, I was hoping to put one of the smaller ones into a nuc before it got too big so I could sell it on, another one I don't think had a queen but eggs so thinking laying workers, again was hoping to check on this weekend, another did have queen cells, but i took them down and give a bit more space by giving taking out some old pollen clogged frames and left with foundation. all were left with good stores, so hoping by next week If get some time off work ( hopefully ) I can do what I wanted to do today.
I'd worry about knocking down queen cells and hoping for the best ...you will be surprised at how quickly they re-build and swarm when you do that ... hopefully the extra space and the adverse weather might give you a chance but I'd make that colony a priority for another look even in less than ideal conditions.

Multiple queen cells.... A/S on the day ....

Don’t go knocking queen cells down. If you see queen cells you need to act straight away
Print this off and keep it handy
https://www.wbka.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/wbka-booklet-english-PDF.pdf

What you should do Is padgen AS, when you see queen cells.

A Swarms leave the hive even in bad weather between rain showers.

Thanks Erichalfbee, that is a very informative article.

... with the weather forecast for the week ahead I think you can safely say that they are not going to swarm unless they are really bonkers ...

I took a nice one yesterday about 3 hours before the rain, on the weather side of a tractor tyre. I went back for the (poly nuc) box at 9pm in an absolute tempest. They'd have been in serious trouble.

Done two real checks. One hive swarmed already! Didn't see it but definitely gone! Going to be an odd year I think!

Done two real checks. One hive swarmed already! Didn't see it but definitely gone! Going to be an odd year I think!
I was a bit hoity-toity about not doing inspections before April but I did have one BURSTING nuc. I think I cracked on literally 31 March. April Fools me as indeed, she had gone. But the nuc was still BURSTING. Now (2nd May) I have six frames of solid brood and hived the thing: if anyone crops this year, it will. And I have a 2021 Q.

March swarms as a management strategy!

I have had one quick peek in March and a proper inspection/check on 15th April, since then have deemed it just to unsuitable for any intervention.
All hefted for stores and all flying nicely, biding my time as they do have stores and expansion room. All bar one Q from early August is clipped and she who isn't fainted last time out when I marked her, so I didn't clip her.

All have a super and brood stored above the Poly CB ready for further expansion, temp wise it's looking a bit better from Saturday on down here but that wind doesn't look like it is abating.

I have had one quick peek in March and a proper inspection/check on 15th April, since then have deemed it just to unsuitable for any intervention.
All hefted for stores and all flying nicely, biding my time as they do have stores and expansion room. All bar one Q from early August is clipped and she who isn't fainted last time out when I marked her, so I didn't clip her.

All have a super and brood stored above the Poly CB ready for further expansion, temp wise it's looking a bit better from Saturday on down here but that wind doesn't look like it is abating.
You are going to have lost swarms, IMO.

Yes the blackthorn has been astounding. The weather has been crap!
Sycamores are heaving with flowers on the cusp so fingers crossed.

Latest posts

Back