What's trying to get into my hives?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy_mac

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I noticed scratches on the landing boards of my 2 poly hives tonight. Has anyone else has this and what do you think is trying to get in?

Attachments

• IMG_20220714_194731.jpg
    IMG_20220714_194731.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220714_194715.jpg
    IMG_20220714_194715.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
I'm not familiar with the hive, so it's hard to be sure of the scale but it looks too small for a badger. Some sort of rodent, perhaps?

James

Possibly not much help here, but when I kept bees in Quebec I had a problem with raccoons .
They scratch the landing board then eat the bees that come to investigate. I cannot think of a uk rodent that would do that.

I used to have a bonkers cat that pawed at bees like that many years ago - its dead now of course but it was not deterred by the bees at all.

I used to have a bonkers cat that pawed at bees like that many years ago - its dead now of course but it was not deterred by the bees at all.
We had a cat years ago that used to swipe at bumble bees , she came indoors so many times with a swollen paw thet the kids dubbed her Sasquatch!
she never learned . Old age stopped her ,😂

Pictures awful so can’t make out much, maybe rats or mice.

Latest posts

Back