Whats this ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just seen this in the garden on the window,any idea what it is ?

I'd say some sort of Horse Fly by the looks of it??

That was my first thought,I think it is one of the fly family but is about 4 times bigger than the normal horsefly and has a very yellow back.

Saw one sitting on a hive yesterday :confused:.
Quite big ,a couple of mins later it was sitting on a neighbouring hive .
I am still puzzled :).

John Wikinson

Last edited:
Looks remarkably like the thing that bit me the other day(itched like mad). Do you have a photo of a squashed one?
I think it's a *taon* which my dictionary translates as horsefly/gadfly.

Looks like one of the blighters that regularly has a go at horses ... and humans, given half a chance. Plenty of them around here.

The problem with those things is that their habitats and feeding places are very unsterile, which if you are bitten/stung can lead very quickly to a huge secondary infection. Take medical advice quickly if necessary.

JC Brum,perhaps you need to take a wash more often,lol.

Well maybe, but they stick their probocis thingies in piles of poo, according to my GP, and then attack humans.

It was 20 yrs ago now but I had to have im antibiotics and HUGE steroid injections. v painful.

The one I saw was the biggest horse fly I've ever seen:).
I watched it for a while (mustn't have been a female on point of lay because it didn't show any interest in me or the horses in the adjacent fields) . Just sat there rubbing its fore legs together :).

John Wilkinson

I had one of these in my garden yesterday! Not many horses round here.

Mike.

Could it be a hoverfly they come in a range of sizes and colours, their larvae eat greenfly

Looks like a double glazing salesfly to me, checking out your windows... :piggy:

Back