whats this

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi
This morning i placed a clearer board under my super as i want to start my varroa treatment.Then this afternoon at about 4 pm i went to make sure every thing had settled down ok.When i got to the hive it was covered in what looked like yellow paint splashes took a pic with my phone can any body explain what this is and why. as i have never seen it on the hive before.the pic dosn,t really show just how much there was.

that is bee crap.
As to why they have decided to do that i can not help you but i imagine someone will be along at some point or another

its bee crap for sure, a neighbour had his car, merc, covered in it, was not too pleased,
was the weather not good? so they just came out the hive to crap and returned home?

My youngest son clearly identifies the offending pictures.

"look at that plop daddy"

Hi there.

Does the bee-poo smell funny?

Apart from Nosema it could also be Malpighamoeba mellificae - or a combination of the two.

What was the weather like the past week or so?

Greets
Phil

Hi Phil
we have had a bit of every thing this last week including thunderstorms with hail stones but today although it was overcast it was quite warm.it was just that the hive up until today apart from a bit of pollen staining at the entrance looked brand new its not that i wanted to keep it looking new it was just a bit of a surprise .

Kevin

Where are you in Essex, nubee61?

I go with MM. Get them tested soonest. Treatment with Fumadil B, might, in a case like this be prudent ASAP.

RAB

Streaking only on the outside of the hive is likely to be due to over stressed bees or a period of confinement.
Take a look inside when you take the clearer board off and if all frames and walls are clean you don't have much to worry about.
Alec

hi nubee, I too am in Brightlingsea, are your bees at Georges? I agree with the other posts get them tested ( if you dont know how, post again ) it could be nosema which needs treating .:)

hi nubee, I too am in Brightlingsea, are your bees at Georges? I agree with the other posts get them tested ( if you dont know how, post again ) it could be nosema which needs treating .:)
Hi beeatshellards.
Yes my bees are at George's. I went up there this morning and cleaned the outside of the hive so that I could see if the same thing happened today. This afternoon when I went back it was all still clean.
The clearer board worked great, so I inspected the inside of the hive, and everything looked good and healthy, no sign of any poo. Hopefully it was due to the stress of me putting in the clearer board and nothing more serious. However, I have ordered some treatment today and will get them tested anyway.
Whereabouts in Brightlingsea do you keep your bees?

I actually saw a bee poo this summer!

I opened up the escape holes in a mini apidea and out came the first bee, crawled up to the top of the roof, stuck her bum over the edge, contracted her abdomen, then squerted poo over the edge. Squit, squit. Lots of it too! After which (I am sure she sighed with refief), she turned around and went back into the apidea.

Thankfully I managed to jump out of the line of fire. Looks like bee poo to me, but get checked out.

Hi Kevin I dont keep my bees in Bsea I keep them at Wickham st Paul its an out apiary , so more forage for your bees , I did look at your hives when I called round Georges ,fine spot for them , hope it turns out not to be nosema

Latest posts

Back