whats this?!!!!!!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a wood wasp. (urocercus gigas)
P.

Last edited:
Woodwasp.....they like larch trees. Lovely creatures.

Probably a Wood Wasp

Greater Hornail Sirex gigas

Ovipositor that you can see is used as an auger to bore holes in tree to lay eggs. Originally imported in foreign timber.

THAT!!! Is the most lethal sting I've ever seen and now I'm going to have wasp nightmares! Why do I look? Why?! I never like what I see!

Bloody wasps :cuss:

;)

:eek:

Ovipositor that you can see is used as an auger to bore holes in tree to lay eggs. Originally imported in foreign timber.

I replied before I read the comments lol, so does it sting with this too? Please say no ;)

THAT!!! Is the most lethal sting I've ever seen and now I'm going to have wasp nightmares! Why do I look? Why?! I never like what I see!

Bloody wasps :cuss:

;)

:eek:

They lay their eggs in the ear holes and nasal cavities - pleasant dreams :eek:

It may look like one "stinger" but it's not really clear in the photo there are two "spiky bits" on it's bum.
The longest dark one, the lowest of the two, is in fact three seperate pieces, kind of like a tripod.
The shorter yellow one, above the dark one does look like it could give you a bit of a jab.

"The longest dark one, the lowest of the two, is in fact three seperate pieces, kind of like a tripod."

I've heard people described like that - short legs, long apparatus - tripod-like.

"The longest dark one, the lowest of the two, is in fact three seperate pieces, kind of like a tripod."

I've heard people described like that - short legs, long apparatus - tripod-like.

Know what you mean, after a match once I saw a bloke get out the shower and he left a set of wet footprints and a line on the floor.

I had one of these land on me at the weekend and I nearly wet myself with fright! I was dancing around trying to get it off with a brush that was covered in rabbit poo!!

Now I know what it is I feel a bit of a plonker. Mind you my husband that was hiding behind the door and refusing to come and help!!

Know what you mean, after a match once I saw a bloke get out the shower and he left a set of wet footprints and a line on the floor.

I had one of these land on me at the weekend and I nearly wet myself with fright! I was dancing around trying to get it off with a brush that was covered in rabbit poo!!

Now I know what it is I feel a bit of a plonker. Mind you my husband that was hiding behind the door and refusing to come and help!!

:eek::eek::eek:
Embarassed was he??

Something similar looking landed on my chest when I was swimming on holiday in France a few years ago. It jabbed something into my chest, at which point I screamed like a girl and brushed it off - leaving something under my skin. I spent the rest of the holiday conviced that hundreds of horrible waspy things swere going to burst out of my eyeballs any minute.:eek:
Needless to say, they didn't.:)

Not really, he was only concerned about his own safety.

He came outside very slowly saying "What the hell was that? Has it gone yet? Glad it was only after you!"

Can you tell he's all man?!! ;)

i send the wife after the spiders, while i hide on a chair :blush5:

I have the mickey taken out of me from family and friends for being a beekeeper and being scared of insects.....it seems I'm not alone ;)

I was terrorised in my own home by a crane fly the other night. I felt a bit daft the next day when my ex came round, picked it up, and took it into the garden :O

Latest posts

Back