what's the deal on bee suits?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garlicpickle

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Forgive me for sounding like the noob I am but I'm a little confused about the variety and differing prices of available suits.

At the moment I have a basic thick cotton smock with a zip off fencer style hood, I wear this normally with ordinary trousers/jeans and a pair of baggy lightweight combats over the top and wellies. Last night I was moving my hive and even though it was strapped, in the process the floor became slightly dislodged allowing several angry bees to escape, and I received 2 stings on the arm and knee. I wasn't wearing my overtrousers at the time as I had not anticipated the floor coming adrift, so the knee sting just went through my jeans, and the arm sting went through my smock and the shirt I had on underneath.

I'm guessing that it's not possible to make clothing that is completely sting proof without it being unwearably thick and heavy.

I've read the various threads on suits and have read such comments as "you get what you pay for" and that BB and She*iff are supposed to be the best.

But could somebody enlighten me on how they are the best? They aren't going to stop every sting. So is the extra money for these suits more about their durability or quality of zips etc?

I want to get a full suit and I'm happy to pay for a bb or Sher*f suit if they really are that much better than the cheaper ones, but having not seen them or tried them on, I'm unsure as to how they differ from lower cost alternatives.

edit - I do only have one hive just now and will in all probablilty never have more than 2 or 3. I have other hobbies that take up a lot of my time and so I won't end up a full time beekeeper who has to spend hours every week moving and manipulating hives. So maybe my potential choice of suit might need to reflect this? Given that I shan't need to be sweating inside a suit for hours on end on hot summer days :)

Last edited:
I think you have hit the nail on the head with durability.

I've managed with a T'ornes full suit perfectly well until last week, when, having got down to the lower BB of a double brood hive, I felt something crawling on my leg inside my beesuit... :eek:

Checked all the seams afterwards - no gaps or torn stitching - so she must've got in via the tiny gap in the Velcro which covers (most of) the zip closure.

So, I'll wear my Sherriff as my main suit now, and not keep it as "spare!"

(And no, since you ask - she didn't sting me, and I released her up at the house)
:)

Despite having been warned in an earlier post that I need more than a tee shirt under my smock, I didn't bother with another layer last weekend and got stung through the sleeve (at least it looked as if I had a bicep for a few days).
I'm going to follow advice in future, and will be buying a cheap boiler suit to wear under my jacket. It'll provide an extra layer of reasonably thick material, and avoid the potential "builder's bum" area of vulnerabilty. And it'll be a lot cheaper than buying a second bee keeping suit.

I bought a smock from Fr*g*le Pl*n*t for about £25 and have used this for three seasons without a problem. Stitching has not come apart neither the have the zips broken. I have a good number of colonies to go through per week and the smock has worked just fine.
The material of the mesh in the veil and its durability should be a high priority, as there is a difference between the expensive suits and the cheaper ones, in how its constructed and the materials used .

You can buy an expensive suit which in terms of cost should last over four times the longer than the cheaper suits.

Pays your money, makes your choice. ;)

I'm now in my second year of beekeeping and have three hives . My first suit was a cheapo ebay purchase, bought as I was not sure the hobby was for me at that time. At the start of this season one leg zip went, and the pull rings on the veil zip came adrift. As I am now firmly hooked on the hobby I settled on a BB1 full suit from BB wear. It is lighter and probably not as sting proof as the old ebay thick model, but it's strong and comfortable and washes well. The zips run smooth too which is a bonus. On a warm day even doing three hive inspections can get hot in a suit, so lighter weight is better I think.

My choice was either the Sheriff or BBwear and I expect either will give you good service. Having seen both I suspect the material is from the same manufacturer.

In the pursuit of better hygiene I bought a couple of additional suits to use so if one was in the wash at least I would have one to change into if visiting different sites on the same day.
I made the mistake of buying £39-49 ones of of FleaBuy... total rubbish! either the zips fail.. or worse the cheepo~chinese plastic mesh splits on the veil/ hood !!!

The Fr*g*le Pl*n*t Beekeepers one I bought a few years back is now on its third hood zip.. perhaps I an just hard on them?

Think a trip to deepest darkest west Cornwall to see Sherriffee is in the offing!

edit - I do only have one hive just now and will in all probablilty never have more than 2 or 3. I have other hobbies that take up a lot of my time and so I won't end up a full time beekeeper

its early days, but I too said Id only have one hive in the garden, In the little time Ive kept bees (months,not years) I have 3 collected swarms, have finished building my 3rd tbh, and have just ordered another national

and yup, have other hobbies too, biking,shooting,shooting,shooting etc, funny how you find the time

as for the suit, same as you too many to choose from, I opted for a cheaper £50 one, and am very happy with its overall quality

Thanks for the input guys. I might just go for the boiler suit under the smock option for now. I am still very much at the beginning of the whole beekeeping venture and I've already spent quite a bit of money on equipment.

If/when the smock starts to pack in I'll probably splash out for a full suit from one of the 2 places I mentioned.

Ratcatcher, are you named after your preferred air weapon? I have a blinged up Crosman 2240 and love it, although haven't had it out of its case much this "summer".

I like the string vest top with hood under a boiler suit, its cooler in hot weather as heat can escape out of the collar. BBwear boiler suits have all the pockets, zips and elasticated cuffs well designed and manufactured, I'd always go for quality as using good equipment makes for a better experience all round.

Ratcatcher, are you named after your preferred air weapon? I have a blinged up Crosman 2240 and love it, although haven't had it out of its case much this "summer".

no, Im a pest controller for london underground catching..........rats,lol
weapon of choice is my bolt action CZ or the semi auto, both in .22 rimfire, sadly cant take those to work

I bought a £35 suit on ebay from Cornwall Honey bees: 3 years ago.

Nothing has broken, the zips work perfectly. The only thing that has failed is the elastic round the waist - which allowed bee entry last week (eek!).

10 minutes with a replacement elastic (13p for 2 and 1/2 yards said the packet!) and even my sewing made it A OK for another 3 years.

If things get really rough I have a very strong Panoply boiler suit which would repel hornets - to wear underneath.
[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panoply-Boilersuit-Overalls-Coverall-Pockets/dp/B00345JA2W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345113450&sr=8-1[/ame]

Frankly I feel a full beesuit in normal conditions is OTT if you are a hobby beekeeper: I want to enjoy bees not sweat like a stuffed pig in a suit which looks suitable for entering a nuclear reactor . :)

If I get bad tempered bees, I requeen them. Beekeeping should be fun and carried out without fear of being stung..

weapon of choice is my bolt action CZ or the semi auto, both in .22 rimfire, sadly cant take those to work

shame! :)

If things get really rough I have a very strong Panoply boiler suit which would repel hornets - to wear underneath.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panoply-Boi...JA2W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345113450&sr=8-1

If I get bad tempered bees, I requeen them. Beekeeping should be fun and carried out without fear of being stung..

That looks like a tough garment! And to be fair to my bees, so far they have been extremely gentle despite being moved 3 times in 2 weeks due to my problems with horse owners which I mentioned in another thread. I guess having their floor abruptly fall off was just more than they were prepared to put up with. If somebody lifted my house off its floor when I was asleep in bed, I wouldn't be too happy either!

I think the smock I have is from Cornwall honey bees, I got my hive from them and the smock was part of the deal.

It's a good idea to make sure the boiler suit has a zip, not poppers, and no side-slits instead of pockets.

Yes: that's one of the reasons I bought a Panoply one (see above).

And the integral knee pad holders... my knees do not like garage floors..

And it resists oil and washes easily..

And the material is quite thick.

In hot weather you have to wear shorts and T shirt underneath it...

My first suit was obtained from the local BKA and I think is an unbranded Th*rnes. It's thick material and I rated it as being really good.

Then I got a Sh*rriff suit as I have 2 hives in different places. The material is lighter weight but feels just as substantial. There are more clever ideas like hive tool pockets and a hook for keys etc. It's lighter and cooler to wear, and I've become aware that the hood zip overlap etc is much better thought through and bee-proof(!) than the other - which is much more Mickey mouse.

Then the zip went in the original.

I need a third suit. Sh*rriff for me.*

Dusty.

* I declare an interest: Sh*rriff donated some jackets, a suit and other gear to our Cathedral bee project for unemployed volunteer young people. But my preference for their suit is, quite honestly, based on the quality of the gear. D.

Last edited:
i recently watched a beginner struggle at a meeting with a home made boiler suit and netting across the face. it just looked hopeless and the netting was tight across the face, thankfully someone offered a spare suit before there was an incident.....

* i also recommend sh*rrif suits quality that lasts and good service

I got caught out at the weekend - tilted my head to one side and got one on the ear where the mesh was resting on it and one on my muffin-top where the smock rode up and exposed my tee-shirt. I will need to re-evaluate my PPE I think. Stings came in in handy as it happened, since I'm a year into beekeeping and had a nagging doubt that I might be a 'reactor'...

My first beekeeping jacket was good but I wanted a spare. Got a cheaper version of the same thing and found the company had not put the same cuffs on.

I made a button hole into the cuff and was able to thread elastic through so that I had the elastic bits to hold the sleeves down under my gloves. Before I did that the sleeves just used to ride up every time I moved and the bees got in.

Such a little thing but it mattered a lot and it was so easy to do. Thought I would pass the idea on in case it helps someone.

the biggest issue by far with ALL shop brought bee suits is that like the bee hives its a very very old design that nowen days does not fit the bill as well as it should, forget the quality issues as there are several makers that make great bee suits for you to buy, you can buy cheap and nasty off fleabay for £30, i use them as spares or if needed i would even conside them disposable if i suddenly found my self with a bio hazzard concern,

but whats with all the old ideals, elasticated cuffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! honestly, where does that idea spring from, 1950's, whay cant we have sewn in elasticad tubular cuffs as per my fleece jacket, far more comfortable to wear over long periods and it dont help they dont even bother putting a toggle on it so i can adjust the tension, and as for fencing viel or round head versions, why cant we use some decent modern ideas like say a clear poly carb visor or a better quality mesh rather than cheap nylon stuf that does not last long befor tearing.

and last part of the rant , honest , almost finished, what person thought it was exceptable to make the hat section out of a single layer or even double layer of material, honestly of all the places i see newbees getting stung is on top of there heads, designers dont even think to make say a leather pad or sheat of some thing up there, i have to explain to all my newbees to wear a baseball cap ot a woolly hat on there heads

do these manafactures have a victorian drawing in a gilded frame on the wall, marked up as "ye keeper of ye bees smocks" and under it a little note saying that if ye deviate from it the sheep will die and the birds fall from the sky and the sun god will frown apon ye crops

if you want a well designed bee suit that you will not get stung through and is fit for purpose, sew your own cause you ant going to be able to buy it from a shop

haaaaaa thats better, red mist gone and rant over,

love and hugs to all, peace on earth and a cup of tea in the hand, now wheres that sewing machine gone??

Latest posts

Back