Whats the best Mini Nuc?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beebreeder

Field Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lots
I have been running both Apidea and Kielers all summer and have some 5 going into winter 3 kielers with second storey and 2 apidea with full compliment of frames and top feeder, my Apidea had this happen, the hole was made by the bees its in the floor and the box is on a post four feet of the ground, bees are still o/k but moved them to another box so that this could be repaired and to keep the wasps out.

Last edited:
No idea as to a reply Beebreeder, as I use neither, but why are they so yellow - is it propolis?

Hi Guys,

Was wondering could someone advise me where is the cheapest place on the web to get an apidea min nuc?

Many Thanks

Stephen

Far to neat a hole to be made by bees...

Agree. Not sure that bees would not be neat, depending on roundness, smoothness or other criteria. Most pictures of damage by nibbling seems to show a wide expanse chewed away so a shallowish basin formed. I only have experience of chewed low density insulation and that follows a similar pattern - no sharp/rough edges except where individual beads of EPS have come away.

RAB

Its strange how some threads get picked up over 12 months later. I repaired the damage with solvent free "Gripfill" and have had no problems with them this season, the strange part about this hole was that when I removed all the frames to find the queen ( she was sold) I only just caught her as she was heading towards the hole and as the colony was strong the entrance was congested and bees were happily using this as a secondary entrance, the hive was on a post 3 feet of the ground, just one of those things!!
Kev

So Kev what is the best mini nuc now you have had a year using both.

Last year the Kielers were excellent but this season the bees have been continuously attaching to the sides, apidea are small to get my hands in and the queen always seems to run off the combs. Next season I am going to use some half size super frames fitted into custom made boxes, should be the best of both, ie no attaching and larger brood space.
kev
PS I have been using Mini Nucs for many years but thought it good to share experiences

Are you making your own mini nucs out of wood or poly, would be nice to see a photo or 2, i am going to be doing a bit of queen rearing this year but I am in 2 minds what mini nuc to use

Waste of time making them out of the poly available as the bees will just chew through.

Never used Apideas as always thought them too small.

Bernard used Keilers and that is what he very generously gave me, and so it's what I use.

PH

If you are only planning on a few queens then the best all round tool for that is a standard five or six frame nuc, it has other uses when not queen rearing. If you really want to use Mini Nucs then Kielers are good value for money and have a removeable food chamber, PM rooftops he can help or look on Buzzy Bee shop ( I am a customer only, of both of them
My home made ones will be ply probably 9 or 18 mm what ever is around)

would be nice to see a photo or 2,

These are some of the cedar mini nucs i will be using this season,very similar to what Beebreeder will also be using.

Last edited:
HM - don't you find problems with virgins getting lost on the way back home with that set up????;)
I once chased a bee out of my honey house, it had found it's way in via the keyhole! .
Within 10 mins or so the air was filling up with bees , each unerringly homing in on the keyhole ! which to a bee would seem like a cathedral door :)
Ivor Curry does vertical splits ,orientates the entrances in the same direction and swears he has never had a returning queen enter the wrong entrance!
VM
PS Pete how do you examine the bottom row ? :leaving:

would be nice to see a photo or 2,

These are some of the cedar mini nucs i will be using this season,very similar to what Beebreeder will also be using.

Looks good, any chance of a few more pics, inside, are the frames cut down super frames, looks like you have been very busy these dark nights:smash:

Latest posts

Back