What's the best extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I'd take the 9 frame manual every time if I had to choose. Spinning an extractor is about as hard as, er, pumping up a bicycle tyre.

AAHHH can't afford a motorised 9 frame one. :banghead: What one do I get?

Motorised 4 frame or hand turn 9 frame???????????

What do you expect? Ask 5 beekeepers and get 20 opinions!:rofl::rofl:

Before you rush off and buy one would it not be best to borrow one for a day or two to see if you like the hand turned models.

Slooow down a bit. I may have missed something earlier in the thread, but I will ask here anyway: What are your future plans? If you don't give us some idea we won't be able to suggest the right machine.

If you intend not to have more than a couple of colonies a small extractor is adequate. If you expect to expand in the future, consider the costs of upgrading. Actually, it may be not a lot, as good extractors are fetching silly money second hand. There again the hassle may not be worth it and a larger one now might be a better investment.

Remember, though, these may be machines used only twice (2 separate days) a year and take up a lot of space!

Before this year, I would have said the 9 frame radial, with or without tangential screens, was the popular size. Not so sure now with so many new starters.

I think I would search around for the loan/hire alternatives, if cash is tight, and leave the extractor purchase for a later date. There are often special offers in the dead of winter and might be quite a few good nearly new machines on the market if the present beekeeping craze wears off.....

Regards, RAB

Hi
I have three hives at the mo but would like to get it to 5 this year and maybe more next.

I did hire one a few weeks ago but found I had to rush to get it back in time as hire was per day. I have a small farm so room is not a problem.

I have found a SS 9 frame extractor (hand op) imported from Italy for £295 Looks well made and I would be able to convert to a motor at a later date.

I hope this will do for many years.

Pete

Latest posts

Back