What's next on the nectar flow calender.....?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haughton Honey

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Lots of Commercial hives.......
Well around here the clover is going off, the lime trees seem to have had their day and there is no Japanese balsam that I know of.

I'm intrigued to know what's next on the nectar calender and how long fellow beeks feel that their ladies will be foraging for.

I have a nearly full and nearly capped super box on a colony and am wondering whether it's worth putting another one below it or whether I'd be wasting my time now.

Cris

Himalayan Balsam and Rosebay Willowherb are going strong. I always reckon July and August are my best months.

Brambles are half way there and there's possibly 2-3 weeks left. When they are finished it's the end of the season for me.

Last edited:
What about the Ivy in September Oxfordbee ?
We had a very good flow in Hants last year.

I am rather grimly wondering the same thing myself.

Last year about this time, or a week later I had a lovely flow of weed infested rape fields. However this year the farmer has been more successful in keeping the crop clean and so will there be anything. The brambles are over, the hedgerows are a blank now and so it is noticible that the bees are shutting down.

I was looking for a frame to graft from and was taken aback to see the amount of pollen in the brood nest. They are thinking it seems that not much else is going to happen.

Time will tell.

PH

What about the Ivy in September Oxfordbee ?
We had a very good flow in Hants last year.

A good point .. and thanks for the reminder!

Ivy does help the bees with their winter stores and I've even had a few supers of Ivy honey. However, I don't consider it a reliable crop where I am, more a free extra to the bees winter feed.

I've got one site where the bees can do well on it but that is up a hill and I think the drainage is against me, unless there has been heavy rain. I'm more than happy to be proved wrong and will let you know if I get any Ivy honey this year.

I am rather grimly wondering the same thing myself.

Last year about this time, or a week later I had a lovely flow of weed infested rape fields. However this year the farmer has been more successful in keeping the crop clean and so will there be anything. The brambles are over, the hedgerows are a blank now and so it is noticible that the bees are shutting down.

I was looking for a frame to graft from and was taken aback to see the amount of pollen in the brood nest. They are thinking it seems that not much else is going to happen.

Time will tell.

PH
Same thing here!, I inspected Monday barely any stored pollen. Today I sat amongst the hive for a good hour, the bees were going ballistic , I have noticed that during a major nectar flow, that pollen seems to be the last thing on their minds :).
My apiary is surrounded by balsam in flower, this is only being worked by the odd bumble bee? therefore something much more attractive is interesting both the honey and the bumble bees ?

John Wilkinson

Brambles a bit later here this year,rosebay just starting to flower,bell heath out in full flower, plenty of white clover,and ling just has very tiny buds and is going to be later this year,plenty of balsam by rivers in flower,but being ignored by the honey bee's.

I would love a heather site but am just not geared up for it at the moment.

The Derbyshire moors are not that far away.

PH

am wondering whether it's worth putting another one below it or whether I'd be wasting my time now.

I was wondering the very same thing today, one hive in particular has 4 supers all drawn and filled, however none are capped, each super frame has a covering of bees and the brood box is also at its max, i am reluctant to place another super on.

Their numbers should start to decline now, and i want them to cap what they have, and also start filling some of the brood box.

I might regret that decision later.

In Finland now Rosebay Willowherb and spring rape are in blossom. Just started.
Heather comes during week or two.

Latest posts

Back