What's in Sweetums Honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bcrazy

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
Sweetums sent me a sample of his honey.
It reminded me of Borage honey as it was clear runny and sweet.
I later found out there was Borage in the vicinity of Sweetums apiary.

How did I come to an answer for the individual pollen grains
Size is important and was noted down.
Shape - all pollen grains with the particular shape were grouped.
Study of the exine - those that did not fit were out.
Using my publications and internet acess I was able to condense it down to two or three final grains.
Then made my choice.

Please remember this is a hooby of mine and I could be wrong.

Here's what I found!!!!!!!!!

When you finish this lot then please read on>>>>>>>>>

Here's the last lot.

Regards;

Bcrazy I think you did a fantastic job in the circumstances.

I am not suprised you have failed to identify a few.
Did Sweetums explain the possition of his Apiary to you?

Many Thanks Bcrazy, i really appreciate your efforts.

Pretty much, the hives are on a pick your own farm, and also face a garden centre container unit, so available forage is immense.
However its slightly amusing that the bees may be ignoring all this for further sources.

Brilliant work Bcrazy, ever thought of going into forensic science?:) Out of interest how long did it take you to arrive at your conclusions?
Regards Mike

It took me about 7 days from start to finish, as the number of pollen grains that are similar are quite a few, so its a case of gradual elimination.

Regards;

Hi Mo

You say it took 7 days for Sweetums sample, is that longer than normal due to his unusual apiary site?n (Interflora:))

Jim

Hi Jim
I think the main reason it took so long was because I spent a lot of time trying to find some of the pollen grains, possibly from flowers that I had not come across before.
Once I made up 6 slides and examined them I had to photograph them twice, one for measurement, and one for detail.
Then its a case of deduction from about half a dozen or so different pollen grains to come to a definite conclusion.
That sample is the sample that has had the most different types of pollen grains I have ever come across in any one go. Amazing.
The more grains to identify the longer the process Jim.

Regards;

Back