Whats happened to the honey???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aberreef

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 hives + 3 nucs
Did an inspection today and there's almost no honey left on the store combs of my tbh:mad:. The 2 frames closest to the brood area have been taken over for more brood/drones, then theres 2-3 combs with a decent amount in and partially capped. The rest of the store combs are empty:nopity:

Theres plenty of capped stores throught the brood combs and loads of eggs, larvae and capped brood. 2-3 of the brood frames are full of pollen. There's also alot of drones and they are producing more.

There's a huge amount going into the hive so where on earth has it all gone? I don't think there's any robbing going on, the bees are relaxed and it's only the combs at the back of the hive that are affected. Is it that the bees are consolidating the stores as the water evaporates?

The national hive still haven't moved up into the super although there are quite a few bees inspecting the foundation. They have 2 fully capped brood frames of honey and 2 frames that they are still drawing out. Should I remove the honey and replace with new foundation or is this better left for the winter?

Cheers

Huw

TBH

They knew you be coming along to rob them so they have moved all the stores into brooded comb so it is less palatable for you! How's that for a guess?

Unless they have consumed it, it must be there somewhere!

National

If the frames are still being drawn, that is good. I would not be adding anymore foundation if you have a super of foundation on already. Dependent on what the honey is and my needs, I might be thinking of extracting and giving them back drawn comb to refill at his time of the year, but not really worth the trouble unless you wanting to harvest a little honey. Questions might be: Are you planning to feed sugar syrup later? And how much are you expecting them to over-winter on?

Regards, RAB

Have they swarmed and taken it with them?

I wouldn't have thought so. The colony is massive and no noticable drop in bee numbers. I didn't see the queen today but neither have there been any queen cells. There were plenty of eggs present today.

Hows your weather been? Could it be the bees have not been flying and have tucked into their stores? Swarming idea seems the best bet though.

TBH

They knew you be coming along to rob them so they have moved all the stores into brooded comb so it is less palatable for you! How's that for a guess?

Unless they have consumed it, it must be there somewhere!

:smilielol5: Those bees are plotting:svengo:. The weather has been poor for the past week or so, maybe they've simply eaten it.

National

If the frames are still being drawn, that is good. I would not be adding anymore foundation if you have a super of foundation on already. Dependent on what the honey is and my needs, I might be thinking of extracting and giving them back drawn comb to refill at his time of the year, but not really worth the trouble unless you wanting to harvest a little honey. Questions might be: Are you planning to feed sugar syrup later? And how much are you expecting them to over-winter on?

Regards, RAB

I am planning on feeding later on. Not sure on amounts of syrup to be honest but was planning on also feeding fondant later on. I'm open to advice on this one.

Latest posts

Back