Whats going on?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aintbeezgreat

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Those of you who read my last thread will know that I have messed up badly. In short, I collected a nice swarm and hived them. I mistakenly left an empty super on top (under the lid) and realised, next day, that this ought to be removed. Didn't want to rush round and make a hash of it so left it there until had more time. Unfortunately, by time I got to do it the wild comb was really large and dropped off the glass crown board and onto the frames. It was one big gooey mess and in trying to clear it up I thought I was making the situation worse.

On Friday, the bees left and decided that the top of a larch was a better place to be than in a hive managed by Mr Fumble.

I suspect that many of you will think that you could do without idiots like me trying to be a beek. I hold my hands up and admit that I am ashamed of myself. I did seek advice but it was a case of being too keen; I should have closed the hive when I saw how big the combe was and sought even more advice.

Anyhow, I'm not giving up, I want to learn from this experience and if anyone is still willing to help, I would like to know what is going on now.

I was watching the hive on Saturday and there was still lots of activity at the entrance. I assume this is a salvage operation by the bees and robbing by wasps. I set up a second hive and placed it under the larch that the swarm settled on. It was quite wooded so I cleared an opening to the south and let some sunlight in. As I put the hive together, I was surrounded by about a dozen bees and three or four of them took no time to enter the hive. I watched for a while and noted that there were always about four to six bees circling the hive but only the occasional bee landing and entering (about 1 every 5 or 6 Minutes)

Today I looked and there are about ten or so buzzing around and one entering every 2 minutes. What do you think? Scouting party?

What do you have in the bait hive ?

We have all made worse mistakes,we even admit it sometimes as it entertains other members.

Cheers

I smeared some supermarket honey onto a couple of frames. Not much bcause I don't want to attract wasps. So far, only bees around. . . not that I am watching 24/7.

Top of larch? In a hole or clustered? If clustered, collect as a swarm and try again.

Get a couple of drops of lemongrass oil in, and on, the new hive if the cluster is completely out of reach.

Seal up the empty hive - it will just be robbed out otherwise - and deal with it 'as and when'.

I once had a swarm abscond in similar fashion, after framing as much comb as I could (after they preferred to build wild comb rather than use the old frames supplied). So been there, done that. Now know better. Just like you. I put a frame of comb and starter strips in frames in bait hives and hope they use them now.

My bait hives are now mostly14 x 12, five or six frame boxes with a 'half' super above.

Regards, RAB

I can't help you with the details of the bait hive and swarm, hopefully someone else will help soon.

You really shouldn't be too hard on yourself for this - it's a learning experience which should make you a better beekeeper. That's it.

You didn't kill loads of bees. You didn't do anything evil. Move on and get better.

FG

Cheers

I smeared some supermarket honey onto a couple of frames. Not much bcause I don't want to attract wasps. So far, only bees around. . . not that I am watching 24/7.

Yep, quite. But PLEASE no supermarket honey...it can contasin all sorts of horrible things including bee disease spores. Lemongrass oil, your own wax rubbed about, bit of your own comb...but not imported honey.

URGENT

DO NOT EVER USE SUPERMARKET HONEY.

You may well have infected your hive with AFB. I would remove all traces as soon as possible and flame that box if any has made any possible contact with it! Burn those frames!

Regards, RAB

Thanks

I have got some "Honey B Healthy". Are you familiar with this? Should I spray it on with atomiser?

Latest posts

Back